1985 M6

Hello shilling and welcome to the board!. Have you tried to contact BMW of North America? You can find them at:

bmwusa.com

Or the Customer Relations at:

1-800-831-1117

This may help. I will see if I may be able to find a schedule for you. I thought they didn't bring the M6 to the states until “1986”. I thought that the first year “1985” was European only.

Dave8812

I have a 1980 633csi... I just change the oil on the correct mileage, check all the necessary fluids, and let it warm up a lot on cold mornings. The best thing you can do is baby it. Just listen to the engine, if it sounds weird, check it yourself, if you can't do that, take it to a dealer or service center. But if the M6 is anything like my car, it won't give you many problems.

Assuming it is a 1985, it would be a Euro-spec M635csi, not a US-spec M6. IIRC, 1984 was the first MY for the euro cars and 1987 for the US (definitely not earlier than 1986).

In any event, the maintenance schedule is 15k for valve adjustments. You may want to change the belts at this time as well, as I hear they eat them. These engines are fussy and cost a fortune to repair, so preventative maintenance is key.

Check out the E28 section of m5board, as they have a lot of good advice that applies to your engine. I believe there are some M6/M635csi specific user groups out there.

brahtw8 said:
Assuming it is a 1985, it would be a Euro-spec M635csi, not a US-spec M6. IIRC, 1984 was the first MY for the euro cars and 1987 for the US (definitely not earlier than 1986).

In any event, the maintenance schedule is 15k for valve adjustments. You may want to change the belts at this time as well, as I hear they eat them. These engines are fussy and cost a fortune to repair, so preventative maintenance is key.

Check out the E28 section of m5board, as they have a lot of good advice that applies to your engine. I believe there are some M6/M635csi specific user groups out there.
brahtw8, I could have sworn the first year US spec M6 was 1986 and 1985 for Euro Spec cars. Are you sure about "87" being the first US and "84" the first Euro Spec years? Just wondering....

///M SPEED said:
brahtw8, I could have sworn the first year US spec M6 was 1986 and 1985 for Euro Spec cars. Are you sure about "87" being the first US and "84" the first Euro Spec years? Just wondering....
Fairly sure, based on my memory and confirmed by the following:

Here is a guy who owns a 1984 M635csi Euro, #47 built:

http://www.bigcoupe.com/cars/brianb.html

Same website has the following history:

The ///M cars were first introduced in 1984, available only in the European models. It wouldn't be until 1987 that a US version M6 was produced for the American market. Also in 1984 airdams became standard equipment with recessed, rectangular fog lamps.

http://www.bigcoupe.com/history/

Here is a good link for DIY info on all E24s, not just Ms.

http://normgrills.net/bcg/Listing_by_Topic.shtml