1999 M3 Convertible Climate Control Problem

I hope you guys can help with this.

My climate control system has started shutting down at random. Well when I say shutting down I should say locking up. The fan shuts off and I cannot change anything on the display. It is like it was running on windows or something. After shutting off the car when I start it back up the panel is dead and will not turn on. After pushing the button at random it will come back to life and work fine. I have check all the fuses and found nothing. What should be my next move. I think I would rather shoot myself in the face with a pellet gun then go to the dealer so any help would be great.

Thanks

Got the same problem on my '96. Just started to act up. When i start the car no lights in the heater/ac control display. After a while on the road everything comes back on and is fine. Checked all fuses, even filed off the corrosion on the fuse contacts, still have the problem. My thoughts, a new controller is definately in sight.

Update: Called the Dealership about a new A/C controller and they priced it at $464.00. Pelican Parts.com has them for $264.00 with return of the old one.

I understand now why the dealership had them in stock.

Here is another update: Took the A/C controller out, took the face plate off, cleaned the dust out of the sensor port next to the digital display. Put the face plate back on, installed the controller back into the dash. Started the car and wahla, seems to be working as it should.
As i won't get the replacement A/C controller until tomorrow, will have to drive the car today and verify that cleaning the accumulated dust out of the sensor port has curred the initial problem.

Ok, the cleaning of the port did help improve cooling. However, that action only delayed the inevitable. Changed the A/C controller.
Note: the controller you receive from Partstrain.com for 264.00 plus 100.00 Core charge, is just the controller. You must use the old face plate and cooling fan.

Last edited: