93' 325i lights on dash are coming on

spade1616

Okay i've had this car for almost a year. When I bought it the ABS light was on and now the check engine light is on, the gear with the exclamation point light is on, and the air bag light is on.

I checked all the fluids in the car (transmission fluid,oil,coolant,brake fluid) and they were all full. So I don't know about the check engine light. Any ideas?

What do I need to do or try to get these lights off?

With the gear and the exclamation mark light only comes on every now and then. I read up on this and it says that when this light comes on it puts the car in 3rd gear. I don't understand why this light is coming on or how to fix it.

The air bag light has come on within the last 4 months. Again I have no clue on what to do?

I really don't want to have to go to the dealer to get this fixed; I rather do it myself.

The car is slightly modified...I don't know if that has something to do with it or not.

Thanks for your time.

Sounds like it *may* be electrical problems because you have so many indicators turning on. This can be caused by a dying battery, bad ground or failing alternator. Do you have problems starting the car (slow cranking, etc.)?

Disconnecting the battery as mentioned is the correct first step. It is an attempt to reset everything. You will probably still have the Check Engine light, but it might clear some of the others.

To clear the Check Engine light, you will need a diagnostic tool from Peake Research (Google the name). They also sell an Airbag tool. BavAuto.com also sells the same tools under their name. The tool will display codes telling you why the Check light is on. You will want a Bentley manual if you are going to work on this car yourself.