93 BMW 318is Hazard lights

docrocky

Please advise if you can: Vehicle was donated to me after I did a very grueling repair on a big Ford 350 Hospital/van. This vehicle is going to a young student who has MS and in need of transportation.

Vehicle has 193K/ auto trans/1.8 liter/ Multi-information display (not on board computer)/ BMW radio replaced with Kenwood/usual small rusts but in pretty good shape. It sat unused or unmoved for about a year but started right up when new battery installed. Right rear wheel was frozen but able to unstick with back and forward motion.

After the usual oil change/filters/tranny filter etc work, noted on road test that the dask ABS light remains on and the left rear stop and running lights are out. All other rear lights to include right stop, high level stop, turn signals, back ups, license lights all function. All other internal electrical components function such as radio, blower fan, door chimes, sun roof, headlights etc work properly.

I then changed the left rear bulbs in question but they didn't appeared burned out. No improivement, so I removed the entire holder to look for possible ground wire defect or contact corresion but the entire device was pristine.

I then checked the fuses and did find the 5A32v was burned out at slot 21. This was replaced with an exact BMW fuse. (Given at no charge by local BMW dealer, without mention this was a charity job). In the process as I returned home to replace the burned out fuse and after its insertion, I turned on the ignition and I had a drained battery. After I recharged the battery and hooked it up the hazard lights started to blink and yes, still no brake stop light on the left. I disconnected the hazard light switch on the center consol and still no discontinuance of the flashser. The only way I could get it to cease was to remove the hazard/turn signal flasher relay. Assuming this was faulty, I purchased a brand new one, but its replacement did not alter the situation. This continues with our without the Hazard switch in installed/ and in or out of on or off mode.

I have used Bentley's, Mitchel on Demand as well as AllData down loads without success.

Questions:
#1. Could the ABS sensor be causing the brake light malfunction/or the hazard light problem?
#2. The hood does not lock down and only the saftey latch is keeping it reasonalbly down. I noted in the owner's manual that those vehicle equipped with OnBoard Computers there is a antitheft setting if the hood is disturbed or opened without insertion of the code. This vehicle does not have a antitheft system instatallation that I can find.
#3. As an after thought, a week after I first obtained the vehicle and had inserted the battery, when I went to restart the car the battery was drained. I couldn't find any light left on or such. I recharged the battery and again it set again but when I went to start it, it fired but I saw a very weak blinking of the hazards, but didn't pay too much attention thinking I may have activated the switch at the center counsel.

Oh, Boy..where do we go from here. The kid and I can't afford an expensive consultation at BMW..but if it gets down to it..oh well, who knows...got to be some free floating angel not busy for the moment..

Thanks Again...all replys welcome and appreciated. GGRAker

docrocky

Excuse me if I reply to my own querie. Does anyone know if the 93 315is has as standard factory installed an anti-thieft system and if so where is it and how does it work? I have also learned but not confirmed that if you jumpstart the vehicle it somehow confuses the code on the anti-thieft system and to get it reprogrammed it is very difficult and costly. Anyone shed any light on this delimma?
Thanks again...

#1- Highly unlikely that the ABS error could cause the brake issue, unless there is a MAJOR wiring problem.

Sorry, can't help with any of the others, I am not familiar with the particulars of the 318.

docrocky

93 BMW 318is Brake Light and Hazard Lights ?

#1- Highly unlikely that the ABS error could cause the brake issue, unless there is a MAJOR wiring problem.

Sorry, can't help with any of the others, I am not familiar with the particulars of the 318.
Kirby: Thank you for the reply. I am rather disturbed because of the lack of replies, but so is life.

I took the vehicle to a buddy whom I have done a few small favors for and he works for a battery shop, but he is careful and meticulous.

We first attacked the brake light out problem on the left side only. Should have know that the center and right were all ok as were all the other lights. Eventhough I checked the bulb holder and its contacts, but just a small amount of scratching and prying the tabs out a bit, bamb the light worked. Simple..Ishould have checked the lead in wire better, which he did and found power going to that point.

Second problem was the hazard blinker light stuck on inspite of removal of the Hazard switch. The only way to shut them down was to remove the relay. He just shorted the wires to the switch with a paper clip, and bamb, off they went. Seems the faulty switch caused the relay to stick in blinker mode. @0 minutes of work and it saved me hundreds of dollars I would have spent at a BMW tech. There is no operational ant-theft system in this particular vehicle.

All in all, I learned to pay real close attention to detail and first look for the simpler explainations and solutions.

Thanks Again..DocRocky[driving]