A/C Compressor

My a/c compressor is going-to-gone. It only works sporactically and the car is only cooling on occasion.

I'm wondering could this simply be low on oil or is the compressor gone? When it's on I hear bearing slapping away like there is no tommorrow. The noise is unbearable.

My follow up question involves a question of difficulty; after doing preliminary research, it seems that replacing any part of the A/C system requires thorough inspection of the whole system, replacing certain other component parts (orifice tube, accumulater, etc), and a flushing of the condensor. The flushing concerns me because it talks about newer cars having very tiny holes and needing some type of nitrogen-force air gun (which I have no intention of buying) to properly flush it. Additionally, you cannot use water, unlike a radiator. So, my question is on a scale of 1 to 10 (ten being rebuilding a motor), where would you guys rate replacing the a/c compressor myself?

Also, I saw a thread here about filling the oil, is that really that difficult. It doesn't seem like a very difficult task; is it?

Big Daddy

Sean I always leave AC systems to the professionals because to do it right takes special skills and knowledge. One simple one is that the system needs to be evacuated before filling and I cannot do that.

I just paid $230 to have my Suburban done. I am the die-hard DIY'er but I pass on A/C. As Dan said, it needs to be evacuated after losing pressure.

The problem is that if air got in, moisture got in and that is deadly to A/C system if it stays in there. They flush the system, then put it under vacuum. All of the air is removed and any water in the system boils off in the vacuum. They then recharge it with refrigerant.

Replacing the compressor yourself may not be that difficult, but it's all the OTHER stuff that is the issue.

BD and Kirby, I respect both of your opinions immensely... and if it's a job that both of you avoid because of the skill level, it would be foolish of me to ignore your thoughts and mess with it. I have an appointment for Tuesday to get a new clutch put in, so I'll ask how much for the A/C compressor.

On a side note, the clutch has gotten really bad; I feel like it's not disengaged when in neutral; I'll hear this screetching whine (like a rotor whining with brake pads) and I can feel the vibrations into the car. When I took it to the mechanic, it didn't do that, but when Idescribed the sound/situation he suggested the clutch is very worn and is acting up with the excessive heat (it was triple digits last week). He said that there is a distinct crunching noise when depressing the clutch, which is an indication of a worn out clutch. I've never had cause to doubt his knowledge. He's never been wrong before and never replaced anything unnecesarily, but I'm just worried about dumping another grand (with the clutch and a/c compressor) in this thing and then it going up on me in another 50k.

What do you guys think?