Airbox Baffle removal

epj3

I removed the baffle in the airbox a couple of days after buying the car - but I also removed the intake trumpet (the one that draws in cool air.) It sounds much better with that thing removed, but I'm wondering if you guys think performance is much/any different with it removed? The stock exhaust is so quiet I can't hear the motor! [rolleyes]

I doubt there's a performance hit there. The SHO had a similar steup. It had an intake trumpet in the fender. First week of having that car it went bye bye and the sound was intoxicating. Maybe there was a difference, but I certainly couldn't feel any negative effects.

Granted, this is an M3 we're talking about, but I bet its there to cut down sound.

epj3

wood_e said:
I doubt there's a performance hit there. The SHO had a similar steup. It had an intake trumpet in the fender. First week of having that car it went bye bye and the sound was intoxicating. Maybe there was a difference, but I certainly couldn't feel any negative effects.

Granted, this is an M3 we're talking about, but I bet its there to cut down sound.
Yea, I'm not looking to GAIN HP (though you can tell it's a bit better without the baffle inside the box... it went from a 4" tall x 1.5" wide oval opening, to a 6" tall 3" wide opening) Eventually I'm going with the euro airbox... it has the regular intake trumpet, then another that draws air from the brake duct.