BMW 320iSE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

I have a BMW 320SE (E36) and I face a problem with the automatic gearbox.
The fault that appears on the computer at the garage is ’54 Converter Clutch/Drive Position Sw’.
When I drive the car and I push the accelerator, the gearbox does not rise gear,
the car kicks hard, the yellow light appears on the dashboard, which is related to the gearbox,
comes out and ultimately the gearbox can't change gear. The gear is fixed.
I assume that it is the 3rd. This means that if the car is stopped,
it starts to roll with the 3rd gear instead of the 1st.

Does anybody know the nature of the problem?
Does anybody know if it's gonna cost me lots of money?
Do anybody know what I have to do?
Can I fix it alone without going to a garage?

Regards,

Ioannis VAGIAS [/SIZE]

Big Daddy

Take it to a shop knowledgeable on BMW's and have them give their expert opinion, I understand this is an issue with several BMW's and there could be an electronic fix? I would at least have the transmission serviced and hope for the best.

eve

Automatic gearbox won't shift after coldstart

Hi Ioannis,

I experience the same problem with my e36 - 318iS. The orange warning light refuses to dim after a cold start. The gearbox is stuck into safe mode (3-rd or 4-th). After driving a few kilometers I stop, turn off the engine, wait 10 seconds and start again. The light is off and remains off and the automatic transmission performs well. So I went to the dealer. They changed the transmission oil without anny effect. So they replaced the entire transmission .... without any effect [bigcry].
The question is: what to replace next? Did you find any solution (or anyone else). I keep you informed via this formum.

Best regards, Edo.