bmw e46 wont start on cold mornings

kelley

i have a had the car from new and never really encountered this problem till recently, the car will not start in the cold without repeated 20 second turns of the key, which is what it recommends in the manual, it states in the manual to turn the key so you can hear the starter motor for 20-40 seconds, turn it off and leave the key in position 2, then try restart the car again.
this was working now and then, but its got to the stage where its winter and real frosty outside, and for the last couple of weeks i've been really struggling to get it started.
today i spend over an hour going through the routine and it just will not start, the battery has now gone flat and im starting to worry about the starter motor, as surely it will end up damaged or burn out.
i have tried reading all the forums for weeks and have seen many solutions, but im still at a loss to the cause of this problem as i have read so many....it could be this, it could be that.....
i would be real grateful if any of you have any advice, if i have not given enough details, sorry, please let me know.

kelley

You do not state what it does, when you turn the key does the engine turn over? Does it crank slowly or fast? Is this the original battery?

hi big daddy, thanks for replying, when i turn the key i hear the starter motor turning over and it sounds like its cranking fast ( does cranking mean the noise the starter motor makes ), and the battery was replaced over a year ago, at the moment as we have been having these starting issues for a while now, the battery is losing its charge and the starter motor noise was getting weaker as it was trying to turn over.
this morning after much trying we rang the rac and the bloke turned up and recharged the battery and tried to get it going with a squirt of 'fast start', but even this didnt work.

i have also noticed this, when i put the key in and turn it to postion 2, all the dash lights come on as it goes through its check sequence, when the lights all go out, as normal, i also usually hear a small humming noise from behind the dash, when i hear this noise and then turn the key to position 3, the car always starts, and for all the trying i havent heard the noise at all, i dont know how helpful this is.

looks like as i cant even start the car now, it will be a garage job.

Big Daddy

Sorry to hear about your issues, but you are most likely correct in that the garage may need to fix her now. Hard to diagnose without being there and having a fully charged system. Best of luck with her.

kelley

Sorry to hear about your issues, but you are most likely correct in that the garage may need to fix her now. Hard to diagnose without being there and having a fully charged system. Best of luck with her.

thanks big daddy. i,ll make sure i post the progress of the repairs so others may benefit to.

this humming noise you hear? is it definetly from the dash, if not i think this could be a problem with the fuel pump as when you say you hear this humming noise the car always starts. the fuel pump can be heard when you turn the key to position 2, if your not sure if the humming noise is from the dash lift up ur back seat and listen for the fuel pump working when you turn the key