BMW officially announces 1 Series for US

Full Article

THE NEW BMW 1 SERIES COUPE: BMW’s 128i and 135i Coupes Come to America in 2008
Woodcliff Lake, NJ - June 30, 2007, 6PM EDT… BMW will introduce a modern and authentic performance coupe that draws inspiration from its iconic models of some 40 years ago. The next BMW legend, the 1 Series Coupe, represents the core BMW philosophies of pure performance and premium design. By combining sporty rear-wheel-drive dynamics, agile handling, powerful engines and seating for four, the 1 Series Coupe will reinvent the niche that the legendary BMW 2002 created.
On sale in the spring of 2008, the 1 Series Coupe will be available in two versions; the 128i and the 135i. Powered by a 3.0-liter, 230 horsepower inline 6-cyinder engine that generates 200 lb-ft of torque, the 128i Coupe will feature Valvetronic valvetrain management and aluminum/magnesium contruction-core elements of BMW’s EfficientDynamics. The powerful 135i Coupe features BMW’s twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder engine that produces 300 horsepower and an incredible 300 lb-ft of torque from as low as 1,400 rpm. With its direct piezo injectors, twin low-mass turbochargers and air-to-air intercooling, optimum performance and economy is achieved with no loss in engine response. For the 135i Coupe, acceleration from 0-62 mph is accomplished in 5.3 seconds and top speed is electronically limited to 155 mph. Both engines feature on-deman[font=Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font]d engine coolant pumps that improve fuel economy and reduce parasitic losses for increased output.

Real glad they decided to bring it over. Wish they also brought over the 5 door and a 4 banger. I know the 318ti wasn't a strong seller in the States but I think times have changed.

Going to be interesting to see how well it sells. I think it will do fine. The 135i is going to catch a lot of Civic Sis and VW GTIs by surprise.

bmw046series

1000 Post Club
I'm glad to see this car and BMW did what I thought they would do with the 1er, turn it into a modern 2002.

Does anybody know the dimensions? I'm curious on its size compared to the 3 series.

Naturally it will be bleedingly, overpriced and sell like a pig.

I think the 135 will become a "Eurotuner", similar to the cottage industry that has sprung up around the Mini.

Although, it will be a sad day when someone comes out with a BOV (Blow Off Valve) for the 135 and you hear it going "pssssst" at each gear shift!!!!

bmw046series

1000 Post Club
^ I'll push for legislation to outlaw that here in the USA and then Europe. :)

The new BMW 1 series cannot be modified from its original design engineering or cosmetic.

Big Daddy

Kirby said:
I think the 135 will become a "Eurotuner", similar to the cottage industry that has sprung up around the Mini.

Although, it will be a sad day when someone comes out with a BOV (Blow Off Valve) for the 135 and you hear it going "pssssst" at each gear shift!!!!
That is very annoying isn't it...pssssst pssssst pssst

i wonder what it'll be like to rip around in the 135i.
i really didn't expect the bi-turbo to make its way into it.
if they do come out w/ a M version, what will that beast be like?

dmr122

I originally suspected that BMW would be offering a 4 cylinder version of the 1-series in the states, but I guess that type of car would be better suited to the European market these days. Nevertheless, I do think there is something to be said for the high-spirited driving enjoyment of a 4 cylinder bimmer like the 318i's they used to sell here.

I originally suspected that BMW would be offering a 4 cylinder version of the 1-series in the states, but I guess that type of car would be better suited to the European market these days. Nevertheless, I do think there is something to be said for the high-spirited driving enjoyment of a 4 cylinder bimmer like the 318i's they used to sell here.
I guess the US, I mean the ones who are really looking at either BMW or MB instead of the cheaper japaneses still feel that a 4 banger is a little light.
Look at the 230 MB Kompressor.... Beside being a Lady's car ( ... my wife got one...!!), MB took the 4 cyl and compressor out for a 6 cyl engine in 2006...

Wait 'till the rich punks get a hold of them and put skirts, wings, and stickers all over them... and BOVs.
Sweet car, I'd love to take one around for a test drive. I would seriously consider buying one if the price is right.

any pricing info yet?

if the 1 series is (a) at least 500 lbs lighter than the 3 series and (b) significantly cheaper but just as classy as the 3 series, then wow, get in line peeps. :)

It looks like it has awesome dimensions. That thing will probably take marketshare from the mini, looks like a lot of fun. Convertible would be great. Don't know about the rear end though, kind of lost me there. Hope it's coming here.

I've so been waiting for the release of this car[:D] I purchased a 2006 Chevy Cobalt SS/SC to hold me over. My understanding is the car starts (as mentioned in this thread) in the low 20s with the loaded model topping out at around 31 (alot of M features in the loaded model).

I've always treasured and fell in love with the M3 but just can't afford two BMW in excess of 40k USD. The 135 will not be a problem and I am just ecstatic over the styling.[thumb]

Here are some links with more information (and videos)

http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/vehicles/road/cars/bmw_135i_coupe.html

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/bmw_135i.asp

jaebaby

how's this for a first post ;)

am i the only one who thinks this? they made the 335 really good .. so good they had to squash the official performance numbers so it wouldn't make the m3 look waaay overpriced. check out the performance numbers between the 335 vs. m roadster or m-z4 coupe. and then check out the prices...

now with the 135 about to come out .. same 300/300 motor with .. i would assume,.. less weight... AND how much is it going to cost? it can't be much more then a bottom of the barrel 3 series. that makes it a direct competitor to something like a wrx.. or a fully loaded mazdaspeed 3! nevermind the mini s!

kind of reminds me when i heard they dulled down the beautifully balanced cayman s so as not to compete directly with the 911.

in any case,.. i think i'm going to line up soon to put down a deposit on mine ;)