building a racecar, have questions about the m3

aaron

Hello guys (& girls),
I am looking at building my next racecar. This one will be for road race duty.
I am seriously considering the M3.
What are the differences between the M3 and say a 323 or 325 besides the power plant.
I assume the rear will be geared different as well as the trans. Do the lesser models have LSD's
How about the rack & pinion, or suspension mounting points?

I guess what I'm asking is...
What are the true differences between the chassis?

I am thinking I can save some cash by buying a lesser model and installing the engine & drive train out of an M car. Especially since everything in the car needs to be removed, modified and rebuilt anyway.

thnx.
aaron

Since its not clear from your post, I am assuming you mean E36 M3 (1995-1999 US) and not E30 M3 (1988-1991 US), since you mention the 323 (of course they did make an E30 323 in Europe).

For an E36, you would be well served to buy a non-M donor car and update the components from there. You could get LSD on the 325 and 328, (I think only as a part of the Sport package, but ICBW). I am not sure about the 318 and later 323.

They make great race cars. That chassis can handle a lot of power. 450 hp is not a problem.

The rear is different, as is the trans. The brakes are larger, the suspension a little upgraded, larger anti-roll bars, etc, but the geometry is the same. You may not need the M-engine. A 325 or 328 is still very competitive in race spec. They still race them in Speed Touring.

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
nonono. you have the choice. start with the 323 add the suspension wheels stiffer chassis etc. or buy the car that the motorsport division spent millions in development of the chassis. i had a 320i before my 325i and i can tell you even in these smaller increments the 325i has so much better road holding and grip. the M cars are tested for thousands of miles and have the knowledge of some of the best minds working on them. i have been to a place called munich legends in england. som of the e30 racing cars and they are the business. all you have to do is strip out the trim and beef up the power(not even that depending on the class)[:D]

If you are talking about the E30, I would go with the M-car. It is a great race car stock, and you may not want to change the engine even if you gut the car, add a cage, etc.

For the E36, my previous post stands.

I think so, but I don't know for sure. I would think the points would be the same, with different 'mounts', but ICBW. You may want to do a search, I recall this issue came up in previous posts, perhaps one about transplanting an M50 engine into an E30 318i.

I do know a number of people have done the conversion, including M3 engines into 318ti hatchbacks.

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
but if you buy a non M car you would have to change engine, gearbox, diff, wheels, suspension, aerodynamics, brakes rather than just beefing them up. if you spend out on a 320 or 325 then change the parts you wont get much if you sell them on where as if you buy an M then the parts you don't need can be sold to cover more of the cost of the initial purchase.

It comes down to what kind of race car you are trying to build. Depending upon how close your class is to stock, it may or may not make sense to start with an M-car. The closer your class to stock, the more sense it makes to start with an M-car, since you won't be changing as much. The farther away from stock you get, and the more parts you replace, the less sense it makes. You don't want to pay for larger brakes, suspension, wheels, etc., if you are going to change them. If you are just going to add cooling, better pads and different rotors with stock calipers, the M3 starts to look better

You should talk to the folks at Turner Motorsport, HMS Motorsport, Du Pont Motorsport, etc., or track down some BMW CCA Club Racers to find out their experience. For the rest of us, including myself, it is just speculation. It may be informed speculation, but speculation nonetheless.