Catalytics

4doorM3

Hey everyone how's it going? I have a funny fishy smell coming from under my car. It smells around my cats. The car is a 97 M3. Anyone had this problem? What are the cheapest cats I can put on with high flow and still pass canadian emmisions?

epj3

For an E36 M3, especially OBD2 (assuming you have to get a sniff test in Toronto) I would HIGHLY reccomend buying OEM or name brand cats. $70 for a cat is just too cheap to be high quality. Spend $70 on a cat that melts down, or ruins $300 of oxygen sensors.

epj3

4doorM3 said:
Do you know where I can get the mid-range price name brand high flow cats?
I would go with a DEC Catalytic Converter... I think bimmerworld sells them. It's like $500. Replace your O2 sensors at the same time to make sure you don't burn up the new cat in a few months.

epj3

oomba said:
Catco is a good brand. They've done me good.
Yes but the cat on a obdI car can be total crap but still be okay... it's a different story on OBDII where you have $300+ of oxygen sensors after that cat.

epj3

KTrostel said:
Running the Magnaflow highflow OBDII CA compliant series on my 540i. No sniff test problems, O2 sensors are fine. You can find them for $190 apiece.
190*2 + the price of welding them up, it costs the same as the DEC OEM cats which bolt right up.