Changing Shifters On The Fly

rlegrant

I just want to make sure that I can switch from automatic to Steptronic "on the fly" without coming to a stop and do the same thing with the Sport button. Can you be traveling at 60-70 mph, hit the Sport button and "cause no pain?"

Yeah, you certainly should be able to. The Sport button will just make more aggressive shifts and enhance throttle response, and supposedly tightens up the suspension. It will make no immediate changes that will damage the car if you push it on the go.

bmwrocks

1000 Post Club
Speaking as an owner of the steptronic, you can shift into Sport mode at any time/speed. Also you can use the manual mode at any time too. The tranny will not shift into any gear that would cause it to redline (i.e. if you were going 60 and downshifted to M1, the tranny would only shift as far as it could without harming the engine). If you left it in M1 it would only shift down to 1st gear when the vehicle sensed it was safe to do so.

As for the suspension mrelussive, it is not affected by the transmission setting.