E36 SMG - jerky gear changes - help!

sarahj12

Hi I test-drove an E36 M3 SMG convertible today (I have a E46 323 Coupe steptronic)

One thing which I found disappointing (either unrealistic expectations of the SMG gearbox or unfamiliarity with how to change gears) was the lengthy delays between gear changes. The delay was similar to the delay in the steptronic gearbox of my 323 - is this normal? Perhaps I was expecting something like the 80milisec changes that the SMGII gearbox is renowned for.

Another thing was I found it difficult to perform smooth gear changes, especially from 1st to 2nd - is this because I need practise with the SMG gearbox or is this a characteristic of the E36 SMG? This felt vastly different to the smooth gear changes I'm used to in the 323 Coupe!

Last edited:
It's an E46 M3, and the SMG does take a bit of getting used to. I think in full auto mode, the car is pretty lazy to upshift, but my experience is only based on one short drive. In order to get the super fast shift times, I believe you have to put it in the most aggressive DriveLogic setting. As for getting the hang of it, this is true. It helps to know how to drive a manual transmission before driving an M3 with SMG. Shifting from 1 to 2 is always kinda jerky, so I would imagine it would take some getting used to even with the SMG.

sarahj12

Thanks for the info. The above comments relate to an E36 SMG which I think most people who have driven an E46 SMG would agree is disappointing.

The E46 SMG which I test drove a few days later was absolutely phenomenal - a totally different drive compared to the E36 - just trying to work out a deal with the local dealer.

Hi

A lots of people have no idea that E36 M3 actually came with a SMG transmission. It was a first generation SMG. E46 has a second generation SMG and new M5 will have a third generation SMG.

I have driven the SMG E36 and never experienced anything like that. May have some problems with the transmission.