E46 M3 at Dragstrip

Nice post...

My cousin came to visit from Tyler TX. He came to Tulsa in his 2005 Mustang GT...
His car is absolutely gorgeous, it's a dark blue that sparkles with Chrome 18" Cobra wheels. I was surprised at how much power his mustang had. The only time I could beat him was on the highway upwards of 110 MPH. Needless to say we had a hell of a good time.
Sat. we went to the drags. I didn't race my M3 but my cousin did race his GT and ran the 1/4 in 14.01
I would like to race mine but I am hesitant when I think about the possibility of breaking something. Maybe some day.....

I've heard about that guy for a long time, he's one hell of a driver from what I understand.
You only need to look at the 60' time to see where that time was made. Very cool vid! [pray]

jkronq

Does anyone know if he had DSC and Traction Control on or off? When I launch at 5K my tires spin more then it looked like his did. But then I never did a burn out like he did just before launching. Tires are too expensive.

jkronq said:
Does anyone know if he had DSC and Traction Control on or off? When I launch at 5K my tires spin more then it looked like his did. But then I never did a burn out like he did just before launching. Tires are too expensive.
Yes, he had to have it off.

Its all about clutch control... The goal is to slip the clutch just enough to keep the tires from spinning with the high rpms. This allows the engine to be in its "power band" and allows you to avoid bogging upon launch.

This is bad for your clutch but good for track times. [burnout]

jkronq

[:(!] So the goal is to get just a wiff of that burning clutch smell. Like when I pull into the garage sometimes and say WTF have I done to my car?

jrt67ss350 said:
When launching your car like this guy did, you are gonna get more than just a whiff of burned clutch. Those kinds of launches are incredibly hard on clutches.
This is why people always smoke me at the lights initially! I just can't bring myself to abuse the clutch...[bigcry]