Hands-on E90 Review with tons of Pictures

I told you guys the new 3-Series would be amazing but you all just sat there from your computers, judging a car completely on random pictures before actually even seeing it in person and driving one.

If you're afraid of new things and controversy, skip the Active Steering, Active Cruise Control, and iDrive/Nav and you've got one helluva sport sedan.

Justin, great review. I think if you and the saleswoman better understood how to operate the key fob, you would have disliked it much less, but I agree that the whole setup is almost useless and is not really easier than a typical key. I believe BMW uses this system just to ensure nobody will startup the car without that key fob.

The only downside to the E90 3-Series is that if you buy/lease one, much like with the E46 3-Series, you'll be part of a group of BMW pricks who think they're driving the greatest car mankind has ever seen and don't even know the difference between a V6 and an I6. [fake]

MrElussive said:
The only downside to the E90 3-Series is that if you buy/lease one, much like with the E46 3-Series, you'll be part of a group of BMW pricks who think they're driving the greatest car mankind has ever seen and don't even know the difference between a V6 and an I6. [fake]
Funny how relevant this comment it... I have people come up to me and ask what's under my hood, they always assume V6, and I say well it's actually an Inline 6... they respond with "whatever.. it's 6 cylinder" I just laugh to myself

I know what u mean kerph. I am currently leasing a 330i but i am not "part of a group of BMW pricks who think they're driving the greatest car mankind has ever seen" as mr.elusive said. I actually know a lot about BMW especially the 3 and M3 series. however im no mechanic. I know that I6 is ALWAYS better the V6. But what exactly makes it better? is it simply the layout that produces better results or because you get 6cyl but for a lot less room? please explain i want to know because me and my friend have a long debate about this. Thank you.

P.S -- I despise lexus.

Last edited:

epj3

Zeratul said:
I know what u mean kerph. I am currently leasing a 330i but i am not "part of a group of BMW pricks who think they're driving the greatest car mankind has ever seen" as mr.elusive said. I actually know a lot about BMW especially the 3 and M3 series. however im no mechanic. I know that I6 is ALWAYS better the V6. But what exactly makes it better? is it simply the layout that produces better results or because you get 6cyl but for a lot less room? please explain i want to know because me and my friend have a long debate about this. Thank you.

P.S -- I despise lexus.
I6 vs V6 isn't really that important.
I6 is just TONS smoother in operation. V6 might be able to rev higher though (less crank vibration).

The stroke travel often longer in I6 while the piston size of V6 often larger. As a result, I6 often has high torque and V6 often can rev up faster. I know I am over generalized a bit [:D].

Later,

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
Funny how BMW's I6's rev higher than american V6's and tend to have less torque than hp as opposed to the opposite being true...

victorwyo

Hey just got an 06 325i love it ... not an expert on the I6 vs V6 subject but I beleive the I6 engines produce more torque at lower rpm thats why jeeps have them and My first pick up had an inline 6 it was a workhorse any how I love driving my new car with black ext, black int,and alum trim. Need to post pics and but would like to tint windows first any ideas on how dark to go?

Thanks

Yeah, the I6 engines always have smoother power delivery throughout the rev band, whereas V6's typically have dead spots (I know I get that [:(]).

victorwyo, if you want to tint your windows simply for protection from the heat/sun but you still want good visibility into and out of the vehicle, go with 35%. If you want people to not see inside your car from like 10 feet away at night, go with 15%. If you want to be completely hidden within your vehicle at all times, go with 5% limo tint. 35% looks the most classy, 15% is a nice balance between privacy and visibility, and 5% is thug-life-gangster tint. That last sentence is purely my own opinion.

Awesome pictures. Just makes me crazy for mine to role off the line, but it wont be long. Atleast I dont have to wait for them to ship it to the states, being that im in Stuttgart. I will be posting pictures when it comes. [driving2]

jlipton

An I6 is smoother than a V6 because the I6 is perfectly balanced (i.e. first- and second-order vibrations). A V-12 is perfectly balanced for the same reasons. V8s and V6s are only balanced for first-order vibrations, but they can be smooth anyway. The advantage of a V6 is packaging - it's much shorter than an I6. As for whether or not an engine is high-revving, that depends on design trade offs. Generally, "oversquare" designs (bore>stroke) usually are higher-revving than "undersquare" designs (bore<stroke). Also, some engines are designed to make a lot of torque down low, but not optimize high-RPM horsepower (trucks are designed this way for obvious reasons).