Hard Top

bobobmw

not sure what it's like for you US guys, but here in the UK it's not cheap to start using a hardtop - buying it might seem expensive enough, but it literally doubled my insurance quote! Best checking before you make a purchase ;)

Big Daddy

What, your insurance rate doubled after you bought a hardtop? I never heard of such a thing. I got my top with my car, but after reading this I called my agent, he said that had I not had a hardtop and purchased one later it would not have increased my rate at all. Weird!

bobobmw

What, your insurance rate doubled after you bought a hardtop? I never heard of such a thing. I got my top with my car, but after reading this I called my agent, he said that had I not had a hardtop and purchased one later it would not have increased my rate at all. Weird!
Yeah, i was dumbfounded at first - I foolishly presumed it would lower the insurance if anything (extra security, no softtop to get slashed etc).

Turns out it's because hardtops are quite expensive over here (£500 - £750), so they're quite stealable...what thieves apparently do, rather than unscrew the mounts at the front, is just release from the back and cut through your pillars. This obviously causes thousands of pounds worth of damage.

I'm half tempted to get rid of the hardtop, it's worth a few quid on it's own and the insurance is obviously a real pain!

I did a bit of checking around, btw, and it's a common thing over here (higher insurance, not them getting stolen)...I thought at first it might just be my insurer taking the piss.