Help! My car won't start!!

Hahaha, My little cabrio is finally giving me a headache just before I put it away for the winter. I've got my tow hook in my front bumper so I can get pull started all the time. I always carry a tow strap in the trunk.. Don't worry, I'll fix it. I think it's my starter solenoid being a total and complete bastard.

Gimme a hammer!!

So you turn the key and nothing happens?

If it is the solenoid, you can sometimes get a mate with a well insulated screwdriver to give it a flick when you're cranking to get it to engage. (works on m20) That will tell you if its the starter or not.

I turn the key, the lights and everything work fine, but the starter won't do anything... so far about 9 times out of ten it starts with the key. Battery is fine. I can actually reach the starter and the key at the same time with a screw driver, but I haven't tried touching the terminals together. I do it with the fork-lift at work, but haven't tried it on my car yet. Pull starting it with someone else's car has been easier... the one push start was not fun.

Somehow my uncle got me to do the rear brakes on his E36 tonight, instead of me working on my own car. Took me three bloody hours. Found out he has a broken rear coil, a hole in his muffler, and his parking brakes are shot.

I'll let you know what the story is.

We have to give the starter motor a little hit on our fork lift at work whenever you want to use it. Dunno why but after time they pole and fail...

Yeah Scotty, geeee with all this trouble from the m42 you'll just have to go ahead a swap the m50 in... ah well!!! j/k

How hard is it to get the starter off on the m42 anyway? it won't cost much to have an auto electrician rebuild it for you. I got my m30 starter built for free!

Well, I don't know how easy it's going to be to change it, but I'm sure it'll be a PITA. I know for sure that it's the solenoid... I have to tap it with a pipe with my left hand and turn the ignition with my right to get it to start some times. I'll change it in the spring. I'll only be diving it for a couple more weeks I think.

I thought about the M50 today. There's a 1984 M10 318i for sale with only 70,000km's, but I don't know the price. M50 would look good in it though.

I don't have time to do any of that engine swapping stuff. I just finished doing a full brake job, rear spring job, oil change, air filter change and a few other little jobs on my uncle's E36, and brake job on my Grandfather's Buick, replaced the antenna on my Mom's E30, just did a front wheel bearing (in an hour!) on my cabrio tonight, and still haven't done the starter yet. Have to swap over two sets of winter tires onto my E34 and my dad's E30... Have to strip the beater E30 that I have sitting in the driveway (if you need anything let me know). Still have to do the antenna on my dad's E30, and do an oil change on my E34. Need to replace a broken highbeam lense and fog light lense on my E34. Now I have the green light to replace my dad's suspension, front and rear. And he wants a clutch stop:)

So when I'm done all that, then I'll see about a M30 or M52. :)

OT:

She starts at a new job tomorrow, so yes, fully recovered finally, although it has really hit her for six and put her back financially a couple of years. She wants to go to uni next year, so will be a bit of a struggle

mr2 is good. House renovations nearing completion. Once the house is finished I will finally be able to relax. Rent coming in will be good also in the current financial climate.