How Many Coats of Wax?

PuShAkOv

2000 Post Club
Until I read "the guide" I thought you are only supposed to put on 1 coat of wax.

I always put on one and the car becomes "mirror smooth" for 2-3 months when I do another wax.

Is it beneficial of putting on more than one layer of wax? Better protection? Better Shine? [rolleyes]

I dunno what is considered a "regular" wax, but Gold Class is a polymer wax. You may get a little added benefit from layering a polymer wax, but not to the extent of layering a carnauba wax.

Putting a coat of carnauba on top of a polymer wax is a trick often used.

PuShAkOv

2000 Post Club
Whats better... carnauba wax or polymer wax for BMW?

Since I am out of wax... can you tell me what two to buy for layering to get the best protection from the sun/snow... I am very bad at telling the waxes apart... I jsut go by the price: expensive = must be good.

Also, there are a lot of different opinions... but how should one wax if the car lives outside in snow/sun climate of Cleveland, OH? [:)]

Last edited:
Gold Class has a very small amount of cleaner in it (enough cleaner to remove a lot of the original wax). You probably wont get any benefit out of layering it. The best carnuba waxes to layer are P21S, Blitz, Pinnacle. Layering these will give you a little more depth each time. You do have to wait around 12 hours on a hot day before you apply an additional coat.

Your question about carnuba or polymer? With a black car, I would use P21S wax. It's carnuba gives the paint a warm, deep luster with protection for 2 or 3 months. This is a long time considering that Gold Class lasts about a month. I personally use Pinnacle Souveran. As far as looks go, the P21S is a 9.5. The Pinnacle Souveran is a 10 but lasts at most 2 months. Hope this helps.

By regular I ment carnuba, didnt think anyone used any of the other polimer waxes out there.

I am a Zaino person, as most of you all know. Zaino is of the polimer type like Gold Class which benifits from layering but like membin said Gold Class will remove most of its own wax when you do.

Personaly I dont think Gold Class is a good wax and I would suggest switching to Zaino or a good carnuba. When you can buy it at the supermarket it probably isnt good.

If you choose to use zaino you will get a great shine on a black car. Zaino you layer on top of each other, you never strip the wax. I talk all about Zaino in my detailing guide.

Carnuba is a convential wax, it dosent get extra shine from layering. Usualy it is best to use a random orbital to apply carnuba but you dont have to. It has been a long time since I have used Carnuba but when I did I used P21S and it worked great, easy to apply. Vlad's guide can give you more help on Carnuba waxes.

Last edited:

carcus

1000 Post Club
Personally, I love Gold Class....great stuff for the money, I put a coat on every 3 months. Call me lazy though.[;)]

Reminds me....have to put some more on this weekend.[;)]