Just picked up a 750il, have a few issues

maxaud

Hey guys, this is my first post on the forum. I'm 20 years old, this is my first BMW though my borther has one very similar that kinda has the same problems that mine has. I own a '92 Toyota GT-four RC which is one of 5000 made and possible the only one in the United States.

I just pick'd up a '91 750il for $1500 a couple days ago. I'm having a few issues with it but first I will post some pictures......

Now, on to the problem areas. It started right up once I got it and kinda runs a little shaky as if it's missing a little bit. I will probably replace all 12 spark plugs in the next couple days.

I took it a 1/4 down the road and top'd the coolant off because it was low and that's when I noticed it was leaking coolant from behind the engine by the firewall. I haven't been able to jack it up but it where might this be coming from? The temp guage never went over half way up the guage and it stay'd steady.

I started it up earlier and let it run but when I click'd drive to pull away from my parking spot the car died and wouldn't start again. It just kept turning over. I left ti for 20 minutes and came back and it started right back up.

I also noticed that the windshield sprayer fluid was empty so I top'd that off but instantly after doing so I had my windshield fogging up with the blue sprayer fluid (not coolant). I shut the car off and I found a tube that was unhooked on the bottom of the reservoir. I hooked it back up (it was similar to an air line fitting. That humidifier effect went away after that.

The car hesitates real bad (usually worse once it's warm) pulling away from a stop but once you get up to 35+mph it seems to run top notch.

also, My radio is asking for a code. I have the code, but how do I enter it?

Is getting service to the car phone completely impractical? Can it be hook'd to other cell phones or is the technology too out dated?

The check engine light is on. I'm sure getting the codes would help in figuring out what is worng with it but my closest BMW dealer is 70+ miles away so I can't really have them do it. Is there any way that I can do it (ex: bridge to connections and count the check engine flashes)?

I really appreciate any help. This car is truely a little too much for me. I hope that I can get it sorted out with your guyses help. I got it for what I think is a decent price, I hope to get it going good, drive it for a little while and then maybe sell it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Take care.
Dustin

maxaud

ok, did some research... I'm getting code..
Lambda (O2) Sensor Heater
This code is stored if there is a break or short-circuit at:, -
Oxygen Sensor Heater, - Sensor heating relay, - Wire from
the DME control unit. Check the Oxygen Sensor Heater Relay
and Air Pump Relay and the supply wires.
would this cause my car to run crappy?
I'll pull engine codes tomorrow. Anyone know where those relays are located at?

Those v12s are a pain in the rear end to work on. I think any of those problems that the CEL code threw up code cause the running problems that you are having; I think first place I would start is the O2 Sensor. The rough running tends to suggest that.

I'd get the coolant leak fixed or least identify the leak as soon as possible. Along these lines, one thought occurs to me. The rough running could be because of damage due to overheating (blown head gasket, warps block/head, etc). The leaing coolant, matched with previous owner neglect could easily cause such expensive damage. Before sinking anymore money into the car, I would seriously try and figure out the cause of the rough running. How many miles on that engine? Ox2 sensors usually last 100k -ish. I would definitely start there.

The car looks fairly clean; a nice detail job and I'm sure that 16 year old paint would look like new! Interior looks like it's in great shape for such an old car! Looks like if you can resolve these mechanical issues, you will have gotten quite a nice bimmer on your hands!

Good Luck & Welcome to the board!

maxaud said:
I have since pressuized the coolant system and found a leak between the block and the head. I'll be ordering new headgaskets and taking it apart.
Yikes! That's a big job. Just be sure you are careful about marking all of your lines and wires and stuff so you know where everything goes when it's time to put it back together. Make sure you check the head - I bet the surface is warped.

maxaud

the car hasn't overheated but I will check the head. I ordered new head gaskets, head bolts and a $200 set of other gaskets and seals that I'll need to do the job.