Keys and door locks

Hi Guys and Gals,

I've got a 98 Z3 and I'm having a little difficulty with the door locks. The drivers door will lock the whole car but will not unlock. I have to wiggle the key to get it to work. It physically will not go to the unlock side. I have to unlock the car via the trunk lock. The trunk will only unlock the car. I does not lock anything even the trunk. The passenger door will unlock that door only. I only have one key so I'm wondering if the key is about worn out. I have the Bentley for the car but it's not much help in this case.

whitey618

I have a similar problem with my 1998 318i driver's side lock. I am able to turn the key in both directions, but the doors remain locked or unlocked. So, I am currrently going to passenger side door or trunk to lock/unlock my car. If anyone has had this problem, I would appreciate your help.

Hi Guys and Gals,

I've got a 98 Z3 and I'm having a little difficulty with the door locks. The drivers door will lock the whole car but will not unlock. I have to wiggle the key to get it to work. It physically will not go to the unlock side. I have to unlock the car via the trunk lock. The trunk will only unlock the car. I does not lock anything even the trunk. The passenger door will unlock that door only. I only have one key so I'm wondering if the key is about worn out. I have the Bentley for the car but it's not much help in this case.
Ok folks, I found my answer..... in a new key.........all the locks work now. My key is worn out. $80.81 at your local BMW dealership............ONLY!

I have a similar problem with my 1998 318i driver's side lock. I am able to turn the key in both directions, but the doors remain locked or unlocked. So, I am currrently going to passenger side door or trunk to lock/unlock my car. If anyone has had this problem, I would appreciate your help.
I would like to suggest that the door lock actuator is probably bad. I've replaced both on my 325iC in the last two years. They did exactly what you are describing.

goforit

MY drivers door lock works fine but it doesn't activate the passenger door to lock or unlock. It do however activate the rear doors. The passenger door lock will activate all others?