Locked out of '87 635CSi! HELP!

SIXER

I have an '87 635CSi with key-operated door locks (no remote locking). When I last locked the doors from the driver-side, the locking action "felt" different...felt like something went "over-center". When I tried to unlock, the key in the same driver side door would only rotate slightly, and caused no motion of the locking button (plunger). I tried to unlock at the passenger door, and the key turns about 30 degrees, moving the locking button up about 1/2 normal travel, but cannot move the locking button any further. The trunk lock works just fine with the key(s). I have been told by a couple of BMW people that this is an acknowledged problem called either "dead-bolt" or "inhibit" mode. But no one (including the local dealer) has a clue how to gain entry into the car, other than breaking out some glass, then "removing a module from under the dash, and shorting out a couple of terminals". I really hope that there's some non-destructive way to restore normal operation to the door locking system. I've acquired a complete slim-jim kit, and I'm a former Porsche mechanic, so fairly capable mechanically speaking. Can anyone tell me what it is that has failed to cause this condition, and what I need to do to un-fail the system? At this point I can't even tow the car or winch it up onto a bed, since it's in gear, and safety brake is "on". HELP!

I could also use a REAL 635 service manual. I have two 635's. One is an '84 EURO with a different (and remote) door locking mechanism that has never failed. If anyone has a lead on a decent/accurate 635 service manual, please let me know.

Thanks...

Last edited:
a porsche mechanic calling the e-brake a safety brake? lolz...
anyway the trunk lock should unlock all the doors...

the deadbolt is activated when u turn the key more than a certain
number of degrees....

this may or may not apply to you/

After manually locking or unlocking the system, the door locks may become unsynchronized. To synchronize the locks, close all doors, trunk lid and tailgate. Lock the passenger door by turning the key clockwise into the emergency locking position (approximately 110 degrees from position O). Unlock the driver's door. If any of the locks do not operate, repeat the locking procedure until the locking system is synchronized. This might happen if a door which is not completely closed is locked, or a door handle is lifted before the interior lock button is raised.

How To Open A Deadbolted Door: ( Procedure courtesy of Russell Jones )
Just had a successful weekend regarding the locking on my 89 525 - where the rear door had deadlocked itself and wouldn't undo, so I was stuck with a door I couldn't open. As there were not too many ideas on this issue I thought I'd post the solution, in case anyone else has the same problem sometime.

1. Take out the base of the back seat
2. Peel off the door seal from the inside and remove plastic trim fixed to the floor (held in by large trim clips)
3. Undo the 3 screws in the trim (1 in handle, 1 behind door operating handle and 1 behind ashtray) & unscrew lock pin.
4. Pull the trim off at the top by the chrome trim, then using a long thin rod, pry out as many clips as you can down each side of the door.
5. Using a large screwdriver, push the cable end out of the door operating handle.
6. Open the window, and leaning in, grab the handle in one hand and the armrest bit in the other,, and pull the trim up and out. This will be a bit stiff but it will go eventually.
6. With the trim off, disconnect the window switch and take trim out of the car (wahey!)
7. You can now take out the offending lock solenoid using a 6mm ring spanner, and unlock the door.
My lock seemed to have corroded pins on the connection, so I cleaned these up and although I thought the solenoid was knackered, thankfully it seems to be working ok now.

If you leave the solenoid disconnected (as I was going to do until I got a new one) the deadlocking and the alarm will not work. What I was going to do if it was dead, was connect the solenoid back up, but not connect it to the locking mechanism - and just mount it as far away as the drilled fixing holes will allow.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/Locked.htm

SIXER

Wow! That was quick. Thanks! I thought that I'd already tried the suggested remedy several times, but at this point I'll try it all night if necessary. By the way, when the trunk lock key is rotated to the position that normally locks all the doors, I don't hear the familiar solenoid actuation sound. Does this help in diagnosis? Thanks again...I'm off to try your suggestion.