Looking to Upgrade to M3 need help please...

Okay, I have had a 97 328is Black and Black 5 speed for just over a year and LOVE IT!

But I really want a M3 for more horse power, performace, etc.

My questions are:

What should I look for? I want 6 speed and newer body style like 2002 or so. When do they start looking like the 2002 and when do they change?

What goes wrong with them?

Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shawn:)

Big Daddy

Shawn I have never owned an M3, but I do have an M roadster. I know that some of the newer M3's had a rod bearing issue, and that there have been some other issues which many of the M3 owner's here have had resolved. I would only suggest that you have the car inspected by a mechanic you trust and look at the service records. I do not believe the annual costs for the M are any or much more than any other BMW. Good luck and keep us posted.

Shawn Wright said:
What should I look for?
IMO, the most important thing is getting a CPO'd/Factory Warranted M.

Shawn Wright said:
I want 6 speed and newer body style like 2002 or so. When do they start looking like the 2002 and when do they change?
The E46 M came out in 2001. I've heard rumors of the new M coming out anywhere between 2007 and 2008.

Shawn Wright said:
What goes wrong with them?
Lots... [:o)] Things as simple as the interior door trim (I know, cause mine just fell), the front door speaker rattle, rear deck rattle and some simple electrical items. On the major side is quite a few rear-ends have needed to be replaced. Expect to replace tires quite frequently also. [burnout]

I'm not trying to say these cars have more problems than other cars, but the cost to maintain them can be expensive especially if you don't have the free maint program/warranty.

WOW!

Rear ends are expensive I bet?

I don't seem to have big issuses with my 97 328is except the expected Radiator and water pump which I replace soon as I bought it.

What is CPO'd?

Why do tires go quick? To much racing or just bad allignment issues. Or do the use really soft tires that go quick?

What type of electrical items?

BTW is there an inexpensive/user friendly way to put a iPod in a M3 or for that matter my 328is or any BMW?

Yup, rear-ends are expensive, that's why it's good to have the CPO and/or warranty.
Sorry, CPO = Cert Pre-Owned [:)] .

The tires go quick because of the ultra-soft compound. I don't do burnouts and don't drive mine "hard" but mine will make 15K max.

Electrical issues really are what you'd have on pretty much any e46, don't let that item scare you. [thumb]

Sorry, but I'm a n00b about the ipod subject. [paranoid]

Big Daddy

Tires are a matter of choice though...They do make tires that will fit the M3 that will deliver 30k with good handling abilities. I only got 10k out of the original pilot's that came on my roadster. The Toyo Proxies do much better and the Kuhmos are even longer lasting.

Thanks gpoints and Bid Daddy.

I use Toyo Proxies on mine and was afraid that the M3 would not take them.

Curious... how bad is the rear end problem. Is it 50% of them 10% or almost all of them. And, if they are replaced does the replacement work better and last much longer? Anyone?

Shawn Wright said:
Thanks gpoints and Bid Daddy.

I use Toyo Proxies on mine and was afraid that the M3 would not take them.

Curious... how bad is the rear end problem. Is it 50% of them 10% or almost all of them. And, if they are replaced does the replacement work better and last much longer? Anyone?
One thing about the tires though is that you have few choices for the factory 19" rims. I just purchased tires and there were 3 sets available @ tirerack for the OE 19's: Mich Pilot Sports, Mich PS2's and Conti's. All three of those wear rather quick. You may be able to find a few more choices if you don't go with the stock tire sizes but I didn't go that route.

The 18" rims do give a few more options though...

I personally don't know what % it is as people don't usually post when things go good with the car. It seems only the negatives are posted. You might want to do some research on the net for "M3 Rear End Noise" (or something like that) to see how frequent the issue is.