Low mileage E91 clutch judder

Yanni

I have had my BMW 320d for 2 years from New. I drive it carefully and I've done about 40,000 miles when I noticed the clutch will judder on the first gear but only sometimes. When BMW checked it they said that I mignt need a New Clutch and if it is wear and tear it would cost me about £1000.
I find this disturbing as I was expecting the clutch to last till at least 80000 miles considering that most of my driving is on motorways.

Could there be a common clutch of flywheel problem here?
Isn't it a bit too soon to have to replace the clutch for such an espensive car?

Welcome!

Does this happen only after you have been driving a while and in heavy stop/go traffic?

If so, this is somewhat "normal" and is not necessarily a worn clutch. It is known that on some cars, not just BMWs, in heavy traffic with lots of stop & go the flywheel heats up and warps ever so slightly. This causes the clutch to grab or judder as you describe. When it cools off, everything is fine. It is not a permanent warpage. This is a side effect of a thinner lighter flywheel, to save weight, gas, and improve acceleration/performance.

Yanni

Welcome!

Does this happen only after you have been driving a while and in heavy stop/go traffic?

If so, this is somewhat "normal" and is not necessarily a worn clutch. It is known that on some cars, not just BMWs, in heavy traffic with lots of stop & go the flywheel heats up and warps ever so slightly. This causes the clutch to grab or judder as you describe. When it cools off, everything is fine. It is not a permanent warpage. This is a side effect of a thinner lighter flywheel, to save weight, gas, and improve acceleration/performance.

Hi Kirby and thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately it also happens when I first start the car. The BMW garage suspect it might be a hot spot by the advice that a new clutch is required. I think this is due to faulty component as the car has only done 40,000 miles. Do you think that it could be clutch wear?
It just can't be right to have a worn out clutch after only 40,000 (mostly motorway) driving.
Is there any way to confirm that it is a worn out clutch rather than a hot spot or faulty flywheel?

I would not expect the clutch to be worn much at all with the driving habits you describe. I do not know of any way to check it other than disassembly and inspection/measurement.

The car should be under warranty - why should it cost you anything?

Yanni

I agree.
Just that the dealer said that if if is worn out they will charge me for it (£850). So I wanted to have some confidence (based on your experience) that it is not likely to be a worn out clutch.
I also assume that worn out clutch should have other symptoms (such not been able to change gear easily, some slippage and above all should happen every time) not just now and again.
Thanks for your advice