Poll: What does everyone use to wash their cars with?

Poll: What does everyone use to w

• Sponge

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Natural Sea Sponge

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wash Mitt

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Microfiber Mitt

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Towel

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Brush

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Other(Please List)

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
He He, while in my detailing guide I tell people to just use a towel, I use a wash mitt. Towels still work better but I have used the same wash mit for 3 years and I have become quite fond of it. It is a sheepskin mit and is very soft, never had a problem with it. Towels often can hold more water and are cheeper, either will work. Buying the right mitt is not easy, there are many ones that are bad for your car and can be prone to scratches.

The key thing no matter what you use is to make sure it is always free of debres, keep dunking it in a bucket, keep it clean. It is best to have a second bucket to dunk it in before the solution bucket to get the most possible off.

Last edited:
I still firmly believe in a thick 100% cotton "hand-sized" towel. I have found that it is easier to rinse out the dirt and grime from a good towel over a wash mit. At least from the mitts that I have tried.

Yes, I voted other because just any towel is not what I use.

vlad said:
I still firmly believe in a thick 100% cotton "hand-sized" towel. I have found that it is easier to rinse out the dirt and grime from a good towel over a wash mit. At least from the mitts that I have tried.

Yes, I voted other because just any towel is not what I use.

That is the concern that I have about using a sponge, that all the crap does not rinse out. I rinse them out well after use and soak them in a bucket until the next use but I still think they can pick up and hold crap that cannot be seen.

I use two separate wash mitts. One for washing most of the car, and I use the other wash mitt to wash the lower areas of the car (i.e. lower front bumper, lower side skirt areas, rear under-body, etc.). I find that the lower areas of the car are obviously the dirtiest and I don't want to make the wash mitt all dirty cleaning those parts and then washing the rest of the car with a dirty wash mitt.

My wife knits small (about 1 foot square) rags out of 100% cotton yarn. I use a few of them each wash, replacing when it the dirt doesn't wring out with the water. She got the idea from her mom, who makes them to use as dish rags. Unlike sponges, you can toss them in the wash and resuse them.