Premium Sound System Amp

rlegrant

My Z4 is a little over a month old now. It has the Premium Sound System (standard with 3.0??) and the amp is in the trunk. It just quit. The CD player still plays and tracks and the radio still tunes in stations but no sound comes out. I pulled the amp and the 30 amp fuse had blown. I tried another and it blew the moment I put it in. Did that 3 times. I just put everything back and set a service date. I'll let BMW deal with that.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or have heard of it. At my age, I did NOT have the volume turned up that high, I assure you!

Thanks!

rlegrant

As a follow up, the dealer ran the amp through diagnostics, blew 3 more fuses and then looked around the U.S. for a replacement. Apparently, this is the first amp to fail and since there are no amps in the U.S. had to send to Germany for one. 10 days.

That sounds like a pretty crappy story. Were the parts and labor covered by warranty?
I feel for ya, man!
I heard the Z4 stereos are a lot better than the Z3 stereos.

Aren't the Z4's assembled in Spartansburg? The Z3's were.
Good luck with your system.

rlegrant

As a follow up, 10-days later, the dealer has replaced the amp. I had them do a test and they could not find an electrical fault. They had to call BMW USA 3 times to code the thing, but it's working just fine. Apparently, it was the first amp failure reported in the U.S.

JHF

Likewise my Z4 is just over a month old, and I gotta say I do play the stereo loud, and it's wonderful. I consider myself something of an audiophile, this is among the best I've heard, I'm a Carver fan from way back... No problems with it, and I pray I never have any - good luck!!