SMG help ASAP!!!

gilsM3

just test drove an 02 with SMG. With every shift during acceleration the car takes a bit of a nose dive, it feels almost like it slips for a second then catches. The car had tons of power but during the upshift it seemed the power was robbed tremedously then returns when the gear catches. Is this normal for the SMG? I'm about 99% sure I want to buy this car but that "nose dive" is a bit weird!

silvere46m3

4000 Post Club
the car shouldnt dive under acceleration, it should lift. i thing the slippage you feel is the traction control kicking on. the engine control unit will not open the throttle even though your pedal to the metel. because of the wheels are slipping.

If you are driving it in "auto, D" mode, I too have noticed that nose dive you are experiencing. One has to remember, that an M3 with SMG is not an automatic. SMG is a 6 speed manual, that offers a somewhat automated mode.

The nose dive should really only be felt between 1st and 2nd gear. Even in regular manual mode, shifting between 1 and 2 is never that smooth.

Good Luck, and keep us posted

I noticed something like that when sport mode isn't turned on, because the throttle is limited when sport mode is off. I have the manual version and I only drive it on sport, because the other way requires the driver to push down the pedal a few inches before the engine kicks in.

This could lead to the momentum of the car slowing and the car lurching forward. Maybe..

gilsM3, haven't you ever driven a manual transmission? It's not a nose dive, the engine is just under acceleration and then you upshift so it disengages the gear. Automatic tranny is fluid so you don't feel the gear changes. You can feel this "nose drive" the most on the 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts.