the final straw

ok this is it with this car. Going to sell when i get it fixed.

Heres the scoop.

It won't start. Spark Good. Starter good...

I think it is the fuel pump.

Tried to eliminate other electrical problems in the circut, but confused me even more.

I tried a volt meter on the connection to the pump, but only got a reading of about .01 volts (dc of course)

is there a better way to check this. Where is the relay for the fuel pump. I don't think this is the problem cause i replaces all of them i could find. The new one were used but what are the odd that the exact same one was bad.

And the last question.

are the fuelpumps interchangable across the e30 lineup. We have a junkyard right here with a few BMW's but most are 318 and i coupla 325s. Is it the same pump for all??

any other test ideas??? anything. This is driving me crazy....

and anyone want a 320 touring 1988. if you can figure out shipping and customs and all that its yours for 1500euro.....

Huh!?

What happened? Just because you have a failed fuel pump your going to off load the car? (I spose if I could have a dollar for each times ive wanted to sell my e30)

To my knowledge the 6 cylinder fuel pumps (both in tank and out) are interchangeable throughout the models.
Pull yours out first and compare it with the junk yard one.

Huh!?

What happened? Just because you have a failed fuel pump your going to off load the car? (I spose if I could have a dollar for each times ive wanted to sell my e30)

To my knowledge the 6 cylinder fuel pumps (both in tank and out) are interchangeable throughout the models.
Pull yours out first and compare it with the junk yard one.

No not just the fuel pump. Right after i gothte car it had a cracked head. Went through hell with the dealer to get it fixed.... finally got it fixed.. ( they put in another engine) and now it has a bunch of little quirks. I know all cars do.. But they werent there with the "Broken" engine. You could see my other posts about that one a few months back......

Now the fuel pump...

And truthfully it is a bit small for what i need it for. I could make it work. but i just picked up a Honda Passport SUV for 400 bucks. "bad clutch" that when fluid was added suddenly worked.... Hmmm

Any whoo. How does the fuel pump come out here. The only screws i see are on what i belive is the sending unit....

does the whole thing screw out.

They're both twist and pull. Turn the entire unit anti-clockwise (use a large flatblade screwdiver on the notch on the edge of the unit top, and give it a light tap with a small hammer). It'll turn about 10 degrees or so and come loose.

This is what owning an E30 is all about. If you want to know of it's the fuel pump, pull the line off in front of the fuel filter, and see if it primes. Pretty simple fix, and there will be problems in the future.