Trunk Lock

Anyone have a trick to getting into the trunk of an '87 E30 if the lock is inoperable? My nephew bought a pretty nice driver and the trunk lock worked off and on. Unfortunately, he had a friend drill out the lock, but still couldn't get it open. His battery is now dead, and he can't get into the trunk at all. The locking mechanism is gone. I jumped him directly to the starter, but it's just a matter of time before he has another incident. Any tips on how to get into the trunk??

It's a real tricky one. If the car in question has a ski hole behind the seat (or the metal is perforated for one) you can gain access by removing the rear seat and getting a small person to wiggle in as far as they can and operate the mechanism from inside.

Other wise the same thing could be done by smashing a tail light and getting in through the hole. Otherwise, the only other option is to jimmy the lock.

In other words - its a right bitch.

There's an easier way to jump it without going directly to the starter. There is a positive terminal under the hood on the passenger side of the car... ground to shock tower bolt.
There's no easy way to do this. Smashing the tail light will be the best way I would think. If you don't want to do that, you could cut a hole in the back rest of the back seat, and then weld it back up when you're done. Ski passes are very tight.

If you don't want to do that, you could cut a hole in the back rest of the back seat, and then weld it back up when you're done. Ski passes are very tight.
Be careful doing that. In NZ for instance, if an inspection officer notices during bi-annual safety inspection, you would be required to have the repair certified by an engineer (at great cost) and a certificate of compliance issued as you have affected the structural integrity of the vehicle.

Other parts of the world may be different.

A good rule of thumb is, if it's metal, and part of the vehicle structure, and not perforated, don't cut it.

Also, South African cars have a fuel tank behind the rear seat so even if you cut a hole, the tank is still in the way.

Heaps of vehicles over here are condemned because some young fella cuts holes in the metal parcel tray to mount big speakers without realising the consequence (failed inspection, car ordered off road), and often the value of the car is less than the cost of having a repair done, and having it certified.

Man, you can pretty much drive anything around here... today I saw a pick-up that had it rear axle waaaaaay off to one side, so the thing was driving almost sideways. You could get away with cutting a hole quite easily here in North America. No one ever inspects cars here.

Man, you can pretty much drive anything around here... today I saw a pick-up that had it rear axle waaaaaay off to one side, so the thing was driving almost sideways. You could get away with cutting a hole quite easily here in North America. No one ever inspects cars here.
That is certainly the case here in Arkansas. If it has four tires on the ground, it's fair game...

Thanks to all for the suggestions. He has already broken down again. Left it in a shopping center parking lot and it got towed away. Funny how things turn out, though. When his friends brought him back to jump the car and he called the number on the sign, his next door neighbor was the tow truck driver. He dropped the car back off at his house for no charge!

We'll keep trying. Glad to hear there is an easier way to jump it until we get the darn thing open.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

I'm guessing it's automatic.

Hey, your other option is to just intall a battery under the hood... there's a place for it and everything... attach a ground to the shock tower, and hook up the positive... Couldn't hurt, and you're laughing!!

Also, you may want to remove either one of the lisence plate lights and fish around to try to pop the trunk.