Which Brakes Do I Need? (Monroe for Rears)

Dathaeus

I see a great deal for Monroe brake pads, $8 AR... I know, but
I am really strapped for cash and I need new rotors too, AND I
just got my fronts done, so unless these will literally kill me, I
need to know which mode I should use, here is the info, do I need
the 396/A or 692/A?

Monroe Premium Brake Catalog
BMW
1997 - 328 Series

PADS-REAR

328i DX396 With Small Narrow Piston Clip without Wire Wear Sensors
328i DX396A f:.WWS With Small Narrow Piston Clip & 2 Wire Wear Sensors
328i DX692 With Large Wide Piston Clip without Wire Wear Sensors
328i DX692A f:.WWS With Large Wide Piston Clip & 2 Wire Wear Sensors

f:.WWS Includes Wire Wear Sensor.
CX parts are Monroe Ceramics / DX parts are Monroe Dynamics
BX parts are Monroe Brake Shoes

And is it ok to use ceramics rather than their dynamic pads? It seems only the ceramic ones are available.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Big Daddy

Brakes is not the place to skimp, I would not use Monroe pads! You can get Mintex pads from Arizona Autohaus, one of our sponsors for about $32.00 and the rotors themselves are about $40.00 for Balo's.

Dathaeus

Brakes is not the place to skimp, I would not use Monroe pads! You can get Mintex pads from Arizona Autohaus, one of our sponsors for about $32.00 and the rotors themselves are about $40.00 for Balo's.
How much total shipped to Florida? Do u have a website or contact info?

I didnt know monroe parts were such crap, are they really? And these Mintex are more mainstream or near top of line for private use?

Dathaeus

Ok I see a few different ones, and there are 3 Mintex's (will the cheapest do?)

MDB1369 Mintex
Brake Pad Set; Rear; OE Supplier Compound
1 set per car
$32.75

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And whats your recommendation for rotors? Again is the "cheapest" ok?

34211158936 Balo
Brake Disc/Brake Rotor; Rear Left/Right; Solid 280x10mm
2 per car.
$38.95

34211158936ZIM Zimmermann (Alternate Brand)
Brake Disc/Brake Rotor; Rear Left/Right; Solid 280x10mm; Cross-Drilled
2 per car.
$67.45

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Big Daddy

I only see one set of rears there and they are OEM compound ($32.75), and the Balo's are fine but you may only get one set of pads through them before needing to replace the rotors again.

Dathaeus

I only see one set of rears there and they are OEM compound ($32.75), and the Balo's are fine but you may only get one set of pads through them before needing to replace the rotors again.
Oh yea sorry I didnt see the part that the two other pads were for fronts... my bad, i edited it.. I assume these Mintex are better than what an avg mechanic would get me when they install a new set?

For rotors, why do some rotors wear our faster than another? I thought only the pads get wear?

So the Zimmerman would be worth the extra $60 total (I assume the price is per ONE rotor x2 for both axles?) upgrade from the Balo? Or I guess if i think I'm not gonna get a second set of pads for what, another 3-4 years, maybe I should jus go with Balo now.. are there any performance/reliability considerations?

Big Daddy

Soft metal rotors wear faster than hard rotors, BMW uses soft and keeps the rotors affordable so you do not have to turn them and they can be replaced every two or three sets of pads. Brake pads can last from 25 to 60k depending on how you use them. Mintex are a better pad. Yes Zimmerman would be a better choice, even or Brembos. You can also look at prices at Pelican Parts.

Dathaeus

Soft metal rotors wear faster than hard rotors, BMW uses soft and keeps the rotors affordable so you do not have to turn them and they can be replaced every two or three sets of pads. Brake pads can last from 25 to 60k depending on how you use them. Mintex are a better pad. Yes Zimmerman would be a better choice, even or Brembos. You can also look at prices at Pelican Parts.
Ok... well I am on a big money crunch now so I need to go with the cheapest sadly... so if I order these two:

MDB1369 Mintex
Brake Pad Set; Rear; OE Supplier Compound
1 set per car
$32.75
$38.95
(x2 right? so total $80?)

and bring to my mechanic, he should be all set to replace the rears correct?

Thanks again for your help.

You're in good shape, and much better than using Monroe crap. With Monroe, either the pads would be soft and would wear VERY quickly, or they would be hard and wear out the rotors VERY quickly. Monroe's business model is to suck you in and keep you coming back - volume, not quality.

Dathaeus

If you are mechanical you could save a lot and do it yourself. If you want to try that we could refer you to a DIY page.
I was actually an Mech E in college, so I do like the stuff and am inclined, but its more about time I guess... if you think for someone like me it is fairly foolproof and is quick to do, I may try, but one thing is my community has a thing against "major car repairs" in the residence area, and I dont have a garage so I dont think i'll be able to just have my car raised and work on it all day.

Also, the tools, do I need to buy a heavy duty jack that will raise the car a certain minimum height, and what about the sockets/wrenches? Doesnt BMW require special tools?

I'll take a look at the DYI anyways though if u have it, thanks.

Big Daddy

Other than metric tools and a 17mm Allen wrench there is nothing special about the tools needed, however you do need a jack and stands. I would guess the rear brakes would take about a three to four hours for the inexperienced. Here is Pelican Parts tech article on rear brake rotor replacement.

Dathaeus

Other than metric tools and a 17mm Allen wrench there is nothing special about the tools needed, however you do need a jack and stands. I would guess the rear brakes would take about a three to four hours for the inexperienced. Here is Pelican Parts tech article on rear brake rotor replacement.
Ya, i can see this can be an easy job, but with everything involved and with my community not supporting people working on their cars really, if i had a problem and had my car up for hours, guess I dont wanna take that risk yet unless I have my own home with a garage some day, and time! Thanks for the info, u r awesome..

Btw I read one place where it said make sure u know if u have vented rotors or not, does that really matter, or whatever I am getting should be fine no matter what? I know little details may sometimes really bite us later.

Dathaeus

I believe you most likely have vented rotors, and I am sure that is what you will get. Hoever they are not required unless you plan on some hard braking.
So those Balos are vented? I was jus afraid that vented and regular may be different sizes or something, thats all.... i frankly dont care either way, I make it a point never to brake hard unless I am jus having a little "fun."