z3 power seat will not go down

dansgames

I have a 1998 Z3 driver side power seat that is stuck in the up position. When you push the lever down it sounds like the motor clicks as if it is trying but nothing moves. I took it to a dealer and they said I need to replace the rails at $1000. I guess I don't see how the rails would affect this problem. Any help appreciated

Dan

Big Daddy

They are correct, the entire sub assembly is call the rail. BMW does not repair or replace the parts of the "rail" separately. See #1 in the picture below. I would think you might be able to repair what ever is binding in the "rail", but without looking under the seat while operating the electrics I could not tell you. Pelican Parts sells the rails for about $700.00 for each side, left and right.

dansgames

They are correct, the entire sub assembly is call the rail. BMW does not repair or replace the parts of the "rail" separately. See #1 in the picture below. I would think you might be able to repair what ever is binding in the "rail", but without looking under the seat while operating the electrics I could not tell you. Pelican Parts sells the rails for about $700.00 for each side, left and right.

Thanks for the info.
I plan on pulling the seat out next weekend , I should have the new bushings I ordered to also fiX the back and forth play. I will try and locate the binding in the rail. Is there any anthing else it could be ?? The car only has 27,000 miles on it .

Dan

dansgames

I think you are on the right track, get the seat out and see where it is binding. We can go from there.

Well The seat is fixed. I removed it last night and discovered all that was wrong was the ball screw was stuck. I broke it loose and thread the arm down a couple of turns. I find it interesting that the dealership wanted $1000 for a new rail plus labor. Needless to say I will be paying the service manager a vist this week [bash]

Thanks for your help Big daddy

Had the same problem on a 99 Z3 last year. Took the seat out and put in a new plastic worm gear that i purchasedfrom BavAuto. Turned out the threads were worn
ba

dansgames

You are welcome, let us know what the dealer has to say for themselves.

I talked to the service manager today, He appologize and offered to refund the $100. they charged for the diagnosis. I told Him I am not a mechanic but was able to find the problem in 5 minutes and that I found it hard to believe his technician could not . He did not have an answer and the technician who worked on the car was out of town for training. This is my first visit to a dealer ship for repair since I bough this car 2 years ago. I still feel they were just trying to stick me with a $1,200. bill. I can see I will be using this site in the future

Thanks Again for all the advice
Dan