Z3 Roof Leaking

jsantoro

Has anyone had an issue with roof leakage. My car is a 1998 and the roof was replaced in 2002 and has leaked ever since and the dealerships have been unable to correct the problem. The roof will not leak if it is dry and starts to rain while I have been inside the car. As soon as I open the door and re-close it, it then begins to leak in the corner where the roof, windshield and door window meet. Has any one solved this problem?

grc

mine leaks too. seals were changed don't know how many times under warrantee, pass side window is adjusted into the corner so far that it almost won't come down, still leaks. i leave a towel on the edge of the seats. i think they really blew the design, a little flashing built into the rubber would've gone a long way.

jsantoro

Have you tried and/or have had success with adjusting the metal clamps that fastened to windshield frame? I am considering doing that myself to see if it makes a difference. It may be too loose or even too tight, I'm not sure. All I know is, BMW has not been able to figure it out.

I drove a 2000 Z3 for a few months back in 2000 when the car was brand new, and it had this exact same leakage problem. I took the car to the dealer a couple of times for this - they replaced all the rubber, adjusted the top and windows, and it still leaked. It leaked until the day the car's lease ended - the dealer could never get it fixed.

I don't really know what to tell you.

I've heard that treating the rubber with Worth's Gel Stick periodically helps to keep the rubber pliable and seals the leaks out. Also, try closing the windows after the door has been shut (to do this, turn your key in the lock to lock the car, but keep the key in that position for a few seconds, and the windows will roll up)--the seal may be better than if you close the door with the window already up. Finally, make sure the seams in the rubber are evenly aligned.

jsantoro

cngizbleevng said:
I've heard that treating the rubber with Worth's Gel Stick periodically helps to keep the rubber pliable and seals the leaks out. Also, try closing the windows after the door has been shut (to do this, turn your key in the lock to lock the car, but keep the key in that position for a few seconds, and the windows will roll up)--the seal may be better than if you close the door with the window already up. Finally, make sure the seams in the rubber are evenly aligned.
thanks for the info. Can you tell me where to get Worth's Gel Stick? I live in Delaware near Philadelphia. Pep Boys doesn't carry it. Is there an on-line shop where you can order it?

Thanks.

salserod

My 97 was leaking on the drivers side in the corner where the soft top and the windshield meet. It seemed when I locked the top the seal was not good so I purchased some black silicon II from Home Depot and built up the seal about 1/8''. I put take around rubber so I could buit up the seal to the exact form of the molding. I never had a leak since and you would never know that the work was done and the leak has not shown up for almost two years. I know this is confusing but if you want I can send you some pictures of where I put the silicon (if I can figure out how to post them).