Antenna, Cruise Control, Windshield Washer Issues 93 325i

EricByrne

-I'm having a few issues with my 1993 325i. I just replaced the stock radio/cd player with a new alpine system. How ever the radio reception is poor. I have dark tint on the rear windshild. How do I boost the antenna reception?

-The motor to the windshield wiper fluid died. Any ideas on how to replace?

-Also cruise control is out... not working. Any way to fix.

Thanks guys!!!

Attachments

Your E36 has an antenna amplifier in the driver's side C pillar (the post that supports the roof at the rear). It needs power. As I recall, it is the blue wire. Did you connect this to fused +12v?

EricByrne

The deck unit was installed by the best buy technician and I bet he did not connect power to the amplifier. I assume the antenna amplifier is behind the light back there. How do I connect the wire to the "fused +12v"?

Sorry, for my ignorance... when it comes to electrical I am a rookie...

I should have said SWITCHED fused +12v.

You cannot hook it directly to +12v or it will run the battery down. The power wire to the amplifier (I think it is blue) is connected to the factory radio in a factory install, at the rear of the radio. When you turn on the radio the power is also applied to the antenna amplifier. Normally, an aftermarket radio will have this switched power wire available just for this purpose. The tech should have made this connection when he installed the radio.

This is an educated guess to your problem, no guarantees, but if I were in Vegas I'd place a bet!

EricByrne

I should have said SWITCHED fused +12v.

You cannot hook it directly to +12v or it will run the battery down. The power wire to the amplifier (I think it is blue) is connected to the factory radio in a factory install, at the rear of the radio. When you turn on the radio the power is also applied to the antenna amplifier. Normally, an aftermarket radio will have this switched power wire available just for this purpose. The tech should have made this connection when he installed the radio.

This is an educated guess to your problem, no guarantees, but if I were in Vegas I'd place a bet!
I've read in other threads that the wire can get loose due to vibration and I should take out the light in the C post and tighten it. I have low profile tires and get a lot of vibration. The reception was never very good even with the factory deck. Is there anything special I need to do to pull out that light in the C-Post to check it out?...thx