Choices of wax/polish

Hello all. I have been browsing the threads and am a little confused about what I should use on my silver BMW. Currently I am using Maguire's wash, cleaner wax, and #26 carnuba wax (paste). I have also tried their show car glaze in between cleaner wax and carnuba. I just got a Porter Cable random orbital and tried it out for the first time this week to apply the cleaner wax and glaze. I applied the carnuba by hand and buffed out all of the steps by hand using a soft cotton cloth (difficult with the paste but easy with the liquids). [?|]

1. Am I doing this in the right sequence? I don't have any significant problems with my paint other than the normal road grime and a few small rock chips. I want a mirror finish and don't mind working for it, but buffing out paste wax by hand is a real pain (hard to get off).

2. Should I use my PC to remove buff wax off and if so, what should I use? I have the foam pads it came with.

3. Although the overall result is good, I want something easier. For good results and simplicity, which should I buy: Klasse, Zaino, Zymol, or stick with Maguires? I'm sure some of you have tried them all.

Thanks. [driving2]

Last edited:
If you want a great paste carnuba wax for silver, try P21S. It's easier to work with than Mequiars liquid cleaner wax. It's like wiping on butter and then wiping it off. My wife's silver Audi TT really glows with P21S paste wax.

Klasse is totally different. It's awsome as well. It's still easier to use than Meguiars but not as easy as P21S. Klasse is an acrylic formula so it is very durable and gives a very clear, bright shine that looks great on light colors like silver, white, gold.

As for the other brands you listed, I've heard awsome things about Zaino Brothers. The single bad thing that I've heard is it's pretty hard to apply.

My personal opinion of Zymol is that its not that great. P21S is twice the wax of any Zymol Estate wax at a fraction of the cost.

Whatever you do, before you wax, you must polish. That is why you need your PC7424. Get some nice foam pads and some P21S cleansing lotion.

Hope this helps!!!

Last edited:
Good summary membim.

To all of you P21S wax users, I have heard the the price will be going up to about $31 or $32 for a jar. Stock up now guys, I just ordered 4.

Thanks for the info. I'm getting set up for a thorough cleaning once the weather gets a little warmer. Will break out the clay bar and then follow your recommendations for polish and wax.

Where do you get P21S?

Go to autogeek.net or classicmotoringaccessories.com. Both of these vendors are excellent. Look into their diffent polishes offered. P21S is my personal favorite. Apply it with a white polishing pad from CMA and you will be very impressed with the ease of application/removal and look/feel of your finish.

I am a Zaino person. Zaino can be a little hard at first but I have been using it for years now on our MDX and now it seems like second nature to apply, very easy. Not to mention the brilliant shine you get.

I have a silver Z3 and used to be a Meguiars fan until I tied a few other products. Here's my 2 cents. Using a cleaner wax, then a paste wax probably won't give you the results you want.

I start by making sure the paint is clean. After washing, if the paint doesn't feel perfectly smooth, use a clay bar to clean it. The first time I tried it I was amazed how smooth the paint felt, I couldn't stop touching it!

Then I use P21S paintwork cleansing lotion. If the paint is clean, it applies very easily, easier than Meguiars liquid wax.

Last, I apply P21S carnauba wax. Having used past waxes for years, I expected this to be a lot of work. I was wrong. Not only was this the easiest wax I have ever applied, but it was the easiest step in the process (the clay bar was the most work).

The end result is the best finish I have ever seen.

most of the tough to apply and work problems are probably because of temperature. aside the fact (IMO, no offense) that the products i see everyone using are not that of good quality. try keeping your wax's room temperature, preferably not garage temp, but in-your-house temp. get you car in the garage after you wash it and let it warm up, even use a heater if necessary. dont get the paint hot, but about 65 degrees - 75 degrees. then clay, then buff with compound, then polish, then wax. let your wax dry in your garage for at least 6 hours before its road worthy, preferably closer to 12 before any freeway speeds. another prblem you might be having is trying to put to much wax on at once. go bit by bit, and let it stand for 30 minutes before removing the haze, other wise you wipe off more than just the haziness. carnauba is hard to work with, but its worth the work. there arnt to many tricks worth remembering except make sure you're ready to be patient before you start, otherwise you waste your time and wax.

EricB

The Porter Cable RO rotates in a random pattern that virtually eliminates any possibility of leaving swirl marks when polishing. Combined with the right pad, it is supposed to be idiot proof. I just started using one and have been amazed at the results the first time I used it. I am not familiar with the Chamberlian you mention, but if it is a random orbital it may be fine.

General consensus seems to have settled on the Porter Cable, that is why I bought one. There are several guides on how to use them available on the internet...Griots Garage has a great one available for free on their website.

Eric

Just to add for the P21s users...,

S100 is the same wax, as is the cleaner(GEPC).
S100 is "marketed" for the biker crowd and can be found at your Harley dealer for $14.95 a jar..., ($10 less than the P21s jar)
Just thought I would share a good wax "deal" :)