Clutch pedal problem (semi urgent)

boneyabba

Team,

My Bentley manual is not here yet- and I had it shipped to my GF's house because I am house sitting for a week in the middle of a move anyway (move onto a sailboat btw!) and so even if it arrives I won't see it until Friday night.

Here is the problem. I pressed the clutch pedal and it didn't come back up.

The brake fluid reservoir is full- but I understand sometimes the clutch cylinder can empty without draining the brake one? I will grab some DOT4 while I am out today so I can see if I can pump it out manually or something.

Anyway- any advice- as detailed as you car to be- would be apprecaited so I am not without wheels the rest of the week.

Thanks,

Clutch and brake systems are entirely separate.

Even if the clutch was out of fluid it should still come back up due to the spring on the pedal unless there is a vacuum happening somewhere. I would carefully try to pull the pedal back up, and then bleed the system. You should really try to get someone to help you as it is almost impossible to do it by yourself.

What size boat?

sounds like your seals are shot on your cylinder(s), either that of the release bearing and clutch spring (doubtful)...best of luck...cliff

imagine a hypodermic syringh with leaking seals, when you push the plunger (brake pedal) in the fluid should be pressed forward, if the seal leaks the fluid leaks through behind the plunger seals and sits there, conversely it will not provide the pressure required to retract the plunger (raising the clutch pedal). fluid doesn't care which way it leak/flows. may explain why no leaks and such, fluid is there, just bypassing..just a guess

boneyabba

Yes, I believe most of the speculation here is correct.

The advice I need is on how to verify/fix. It sounds like, it sounds like there are two cylinders with one behind the pedal (If I remove the panel above the pedals can I see it?) and another on the side of the transmission (do I need to get under the car for this?)... Are these BMW special order parts of will Kragen have them? Anyone done this repair?

I am pretty mechanically inclined but totally intimidated by accessing hard areas... That is why I posted about the sunroof issue.

Man I wish the manual was already here- I feel completely hamstrung.

Clutch and brake systems are entirely separate.
Not true. On your car, true, but the brake master cylinder reservoir is also the reservoir for the clutch juice. Your car (right side drive) probably has a little reservoir on the firewall, right? North America is one reservoir.

I've had to do the same repair with the same symptoms. I changed both cylinders and put in a new hard line between the master and slave. The master cylinder is a royal pain in the ass, just because of where it is (behind the pedal, through the firewall), but the slave is pretty simple with the right combination of extended socket, swivel extension and air ratchet (or regular ratchet). You'll need to be right under the car for that, but you won't have to drop the tranny. If you're going to do one, you should really do the other, because they'll both fail around the same time, so save yourself a tow. Neither are all that expensive.

I'm almost willing to bet you that your brake master cylinder reservoir has the little spout on the side of it for the hose to go to the clutch master cylinder. I know that the auto E30's in the driveway have the little spout for the tube, even though they're automatic trannies.
Heres My relocated one, It used to be mounted (using the same bracket as the coolant header tank) on the right side strut tower: