Cold start running problem

[rolleyes]I just bought this 2000 528I for my wife three weeks ago and have had no problems till she came in and said it was running rough in the morning but not in the afternoon on the way home, so I said I would drive it and see what she was talking about, I found nothing wrong for two days but on the third day the temp had gotten down in the thirties that night and on my way to work the car ran horribly, It seemed to sputter for about 5 miles and then just like you turned a switch it started to run just fine also the service engine soon light was on at first but also went off when the car started to run right, has anyone seen this or anything it seems to only happen when the temp is cold at night if it doesn't get cold enough then it runs fine. Thanks Jon

codes checked

I had someone plug into the car and try to recover the codes and they found nothing there, it might throw a code while this is happening but I am not sure if I can borrow the tool.

tune up

I am not sure when the last tune up was done on the car but the car only has 85,000 miles on it, I have rebuilt engines on my dirt bikes, worked for john deere on combines, tractors, and more but never on a BMW is there anything that I need to be aware of if I were to change the plugs, the oil, or anything like general maintenance, I hate to take it to the dealer to have thease things done, the guys doing the work there most times are straight out of school and just hope they know what they are doing. I love the car but I don't want it to be a money pit, I can't afford to spend 500 bucks a month just to drive a BMW, what are your thoughts should I get out before the cost add up or do I have a good car?