Cooling System Problem

Looking for advice... all thoughts are welcome.

1999 - 323 cabrio with 183k miles. I've owned the car for the past 140k miles (6 years).

Developed a hole in the coolant expansion tank two weeks ago. Replaced the tank, bled the system, checked level the next day etc. Two days later (~300 miles) the upper radiator hose blows off in stop and go driving. Of course this happens on one of the 100 degree days. Reattached the hose, refilled and bled the system. Worked fine for a week. Blew hose again, this time on the highway. Bought new clamps, filled and bled the system. Fine for two days and yesterday - blew the hose again. So - i've ordered new thermostat, (and new hoses and belts while I have everything off...) and will try that. But am I missing anything else?

I did have the last thermostat put in at about 95k and replaced the water pump at the same time. Original radiator - never had overheating problems until now...

Also I did notice the aux fan (electric one in front of the radiator) is not coming on when I turn on the AC. But the coolant level is low right now and didn't know if the coolant level needed to be above the sensor in order to read temp and for the fan to turn on.

Thanks in advance.

Cooling system - additional info...

Only really noticed it the third time. Went to red very quickly, within 5 minutes of a cold start - may not have even gone to red the first two times (didn't notice it until the hose blew).. It was just into the red - light had come on.

I can go hundreds of miles between the hose going which is wierd... otherwise stays in the middle of the range. Has never overheated in the past - never moved past the 12:00 position...