Door-Interior Wind Noise Problem Solved

5Guy

Thank you this BMW website and the car owners who had posted under 'wind noise' in the forums. I had a really loud air noise - seemingly coming from the door frame or window. It started at about 40mph and increased over the radio as the speed went up. After numerous trips to the dealer; having the window adjusted? then being sent to their body shop to have the door checked and aligned, I purchased a door molding kit and tried adding to different parts of the car door frame and door. Nothing worked.
I then got smart and found this website, put in the problem and in 10 minutes had the problem solved. The car is whisper quiet. It was the jack bumpers. Mine are on the car, but there was spacing where they were not fitting up tight to the car. I simply pushed them back up tight and put three strips of black racing duct tape around the three edge sides of the plastic bumpers surrounding the jack hole to the car. I even put a square over the hole for good measure. UNBELIEVABLE. Thanks again.

kyoko

Thank you this BMW website and the car owners who had posted under 'wind noise' in the forums. I had a really loud air noise - seemingly coming from the door frame or window. It started at about 40mph and increased over the radio as the speed went up. After numerous trips to the dealer; having the window adjusted? then being sent to their body shop to have the door checked and aligned, I purchased a door molding kit and tried adding to different parts of the car door frame and door. Nothing worked.
I then got smart and found this website, put in the problem and in 10 minutes had the problem solved. The car is whisper quiet. It was the jack bumpers. Mine are on the car, but there was spacing where they were not fitting up tight to the car. I simply pushed them back up tight and put three strips of black racing duct tape around the three edge sides of the plastic bumpers surrounding the jack hole to the car. I even put a square over the hole for good measure. UNBELIEVABLE. Thanks again.
Where are the jack pads located on the car? Someone wrote in about missing jack pads on the turn signal markers as well, and I don't know where to look for them. I am not very knowledgeable about cars, and would appreciate any help.
I have been having wind noise that I think is coming from a replacement windshield. But I also have had a dent repaired recently in my hood , and also have had numerous tire balancing done from new tires . I thought maybe there is an off chance that maybe someone working on the car could have knocked these jack pads off and could possibly be the source of the noise. It could still also be the improper install of the windshield, but I hate to have to go through all the trouble of having them re-do it if it doesn't need to be done if it could be resolved simply.

CosmosBlack

The pads are thick rubber pads that go on the 4 jack-points under the car.
They should be just behind the front wheels, and just in front of the rear wheels, along both the undersides of the car, just under the doors.

It is not uncommon for the jack pads to fall off, or get stuck on lifts after being lifted and lowered. What happens is the exposed hole where the jack pad used to plug into, is now allowing rushing air to blow across/into the hollow framework, which runs all the way up to the framework around the windshield area. The result is a whistling noise at higher speeds, much like when you blow over an empty bottle.

kyoko

The pads are thick rubber pads that go on the 4 jack-points under the car.
They should be just behind the front wheels, and just in front of the rear wheels, along both the undersides of the car, just under the doors.

It is not uncommon for the jack pads to fall off, or get stuck on lifts after being lifted and lowered. What happens is the exposed hole where the jack pad used to plug into, is now allowing rushing air to blow across/into the hollow framework, which runs all the way up to the framework around the windshield area. The result is a whistling noise at higher speeds, much like when you blow over an empty bottle.
Thank you for replying. I'm going to take my car in for servicing, and will have them check for the jack pads. All four seem to be there, however, the two front ones seem to feel slightly different in the way they are "in there."

CosmosBlack

Thank you for replying. I'm going to take my car in for servicing, and will have them check for the jack pads. All four seem to be there, however, the two front ones seem to feel slightly different in the way they are "in there."
Yeah, sometimes part of the rubber that plugs into the body/framework under the car breaks and they are not properly/firmly in place.