HELP intermittent starting problem

bmwalay

hi,
1, new to this forum so hello to every one

2, bought my first bmw about six months ago.a 525 td auto, what a fantastic car.

3, recently i am having a problem with it. sometimes i drive somewhere like maybe drop the kids to school or go into a shop etc, come to it and find it does not want to start. i leave it for 10 to 15 minutes, try it again starts up and away it goes.

4, once it starts it does not stall or do anything wrong.

5, i have worked out that if i dont here any buzzing coming from the feul pump it wont start.once i hear the buzzing it always starts.i plugged in code reader which came up code 1260 low feul pressure detection.if i clear this fault from the memory it stops starting again.

6, if anyone has any wiring diagrams or component locations such as injection fuse /relays it would help.or any other tests i can carry out.

thanx in advance for any help

sahtt57

This is actually a fairly common problem that is often difficult to diagnose accurately. With no CEL's and intermittent symptoms, there are several potential causes-
Part the wiring harness could be exposed to too much engine heat, it shorts until the engine cools off then your car 'magically' starts again.
The fuel pump could be on its way out. It's extremely difficult to diagnose as it'll be working perfectly except when your car won't start, which of course is outside the grocery store not at the automotive shop.
Related to that, it can also be other more specifically related to your BMW such as fuel regulator, etc. For that try /bmw 525 won't start when hot
The most common result for slightly older cars on their stock starter is the starter itself. It simply ceases to function when hot then eventually goes out all together. This last situation is what happened to me on a 91 Lexus LS400 I had in years past. Good luck.