how do I get the smooth feeling on the paint?

When I first got the Car, the paint feel so smooth..but aft I wash it then it's not smooth anymore..what they use at dealership to make it so smooth??? anyone...??

thanks

My car only been less than 4 months old, but I like the smooth feeling when I got it. so just want to see how they do it? is Quick Wax by Meguirer do that job though?

Tom

Staff Team
Here is how I would do it:

1) Wash and dry the car thoroughly
2) Get a McGuiars Clay bar.
3) Spray some McGuiars auto detailing onto a certain area and go over that area with a clay bar in a circular motion.
4) Wipe off with a dry towel. You would repeat this step until you complete the entire car.
5) Then you can either go over once again with a car polish or just put on a coat of wax. Either way, I recommend applying a coat of wax as a final procedure.

dumayou said:
My car only been less than 4 months old, but I like the smooth feeling when I got it. so just want to see how they do it? is Quick Wax by Meguirer do that job though?
Meguiar's Quick Wax works good, but not great. Follow a coat of Quick Wax with some Turtle Wax and it'll be super shiny and smooth.

coyotefreek's right! I really wouldn't think that you need a clay bar yet, unless you have ignored your paint for a while or drive through a lot of crap on the roads.

I would think that a thorough cleaning is all it needs, I recommend performing this twice a year. After a lengthy wash with Dawn dish washing detergent, (this will remove all of the old wax), get a good cleanser such as Zymol's or P21S's, a good glaze, (I like 3M's Imperial hand glaze or Meguiar's New Car glaze), and get a good wax. This is really a 4-step process if you count the wash. This should bring your paint back to the way it was.

If you're really into getting the best results for your paint, get a Porter/Cable polisher also. You can read my detail guide here. It will give you all the info you need.

Also, coyotefreek has but together another detail guide that you can find here.

You should actually clay your car when it's brand new. There are contaminants that get in/on the paint during shipping. Claying is not bad for your paint and is nonabrasive. It doesn't remove any paint. Technically you can clay everytime you apply a coat of wax/sealant. The clay will definitly make your finish as smooth or smoother than the day you picked it up. Don't be afraid to experiment and practice.

After you clay, you have the option of using a polish. Polishing will help bring out the gloss in your paint. It is truly the 'money step.' There are many different types of polish. Since your car is new, P21S Cleansing Lotion is a great product.

After you polish or if you don't polish, use a protectant. There are basically two types of protectant. A sythetic wax (sealant) such as Klasse, Zaino or Blackfire will last almost six months if your car is garaged. Sometimes they don't look as good as high quality carnuaba waxes and tend to streak. A good carnuba wax such as P21S or Pinnacle with produce more depth and gloss on dark colored cars. The problem is that they don't last very long at all. P21S and Pinnacle Souveran lasts about 6 weeks on my garaged black 04 330Ci.

It's all a matter of preference, but claying is definitly the way to go to get that smooth finish. Claying also makes wax last longer and easier to apply and remove.

Go to Classic Motoring Accessories and look at their detaling tips for more info.

Hope this helps!!!

note on Zaino: If you decide to use Zano and wish to polish the car, rember to wash the car with Dawn after you do the polish. Also rember not to ever polish the car again because it would remove the Zaino (although you should never see the need to polish it again, Zaino is very good at protecting cars from things that would make it not smooth). Zaino while might last 6 months with a few coats, It is best to keep applying more coats more often, it will also increase the shine. For more Zaino Tips and Tricks see my detailing guide.

let me clairify, as membim was talking about polishing the car with P21S Cleansing Lotion to smoothing the paint, you want to wash the car with dawn after that. Then you use Zaino.(While technaly Zaino is a polish, it dosent do the same thing as the P21S)

carcus

1000 Post Club
Tom said:
Here is how I would do it:

1) Wash and dry the car thoroughly
2) Get a McGuiars Clay bar.
3) Spray some McGuiars auto detailing onto a certain area and go over that area with a clay bar in a circular motion.
4) Wipe off with a dry towel. You would repeat this step until you complete the entire car.
5) Then you can either go over once again with a car polish or just put on a coat of wax. Either way, I recommend applying a coat of wax as a final procedure.
I agree 100 percent. That is exactally what I do when I have the time to prep the car for winter. Takes alot of time, but worth it....you and the car are one....than the rain comes the next day.[;)]

Clay bar takes some time and paitence.....but works. On a normal basis, I do not use it though. When I have time to do it right....just like Tom said.[;)]