How Do You All Clean Your Leather?

Hey,

I was wondering, how do you all take care of your leather seats? At first, I tried Eagle One Leather Conditioner (spray formula) and that stuff was just terrible. It left what seems to be permanent "marks" on my leather. So I just purchased a bottle of Armorall Leather Conditioner that is in a gel compoundand applied it to the driver and front passenger seat. I used a white towel and it seemed to pickup a lot of dirt that I just cannot see on the seats and it made the leather look cleaner and brighter. How often do you all clean your leather, what do you do, and how is it working for you so far?

Thanks,
MrElussive

Tom

Staff Team
I use Lexol leather conditioner and cleaner. The conditioner is great since it gives off a natural leather smell.

In the thread that Vlad gave a link to I talk about my Zaino. I believe it is the best but many would argue that Leatherique is the best, you rilly cant go wrong with either. I do not like lexal, and Armor all is a joke. Stick with either Zaino or Leatherique.

Leatherique's web site is shitty and confusing and they have no pictures of the product, therefore I don't care for it. I have heard good things about Lexol, I think I will give that a try.

Ew, I was just at the Lexol web site and it looks like so much work for the Lexol process. The Mothers and Meguiars two-step leather maintenance process looks a lot better...

MrElussive said:
Leatherique's web site is shitty and confusing and they have no pictures of the product, therefore I don't care for it. (snip)
There we go, judging a book by it's cover! Comon now, what will a picture of a bottle do for you?

I use Apple leather cleaner and conditioner. Great stuff. I have used it in all 5 of my BMWs. I use the conditioner and cleaner every 4 to 6 months and simply wipe down the leather with a damp cloth between conditionings.

Dave8812

I clean it....with leather cleaner.....

No, i'm not sure either. I'm in the process of totally rebuilding it so i haven't worried about that yet.

I think I am gonna go with the Zaino Z-9 Leather Cleaner and Zaino Z-10 Leather Conditioner. Looks like a great pair of products and not too much, either (only about $17 total, without shipping).

I use currently use Connolley Hide Food. I've used other products in the past, Meguiars, Lexol, etc. None have particularly impressed me, but none appear to have done any real damage. I kinda wonder if maybe I could have just used damp cloth and saved bunch of money.

Maybe you could use a damp cloth to clean the leather. But according to all these companies, you need to refresh and restore the oils within the surface of the leather. I would imagine that using the damp clotch would only do a barely adequate job of cleaning the leather, and it would remove those oils that you need to keep the leather fresh.
But wtf do I know, I'm just speculating.

mscoins said:
I use the leather cleaner/conditioner in BMW's Premium Leather Care kit available at any BMW dealer.
That's a great idea. You can't go wrong using BMW's own leather care kit. Infiniti does not sell something like that, though. [mad]

Well, I hate to sound like the lazy, quick fix, cheapscate that I truly am, but I gotta tell ya' that those little pop up Armour all leather wipes work pretty damn good. I had black smudge marks all over my rear seats (natural brown leather) from when I put on my snow tires. This was not just tire dirt, but the black glosssy tire treatment. The armour all wipes, cleaned the seats completely with no residue or discoloration. Seats look and feel brand new.
Sorry that I can't tell some elaborate story about the exotic methods needed to get the seats clean. But hell, it was cheap, it was quick, it was easy, and it worked.

EricB

I use Griot's Leather Care....smells great and seems to do a great job.

I also like to heat the seats up by running the heater and seat warmers to open the pores of the leather as well....that way the leather absorbs as much product as possible.

donmbmw said:

Sorry that I can't tell some elaborate story about the exotic methods needed to get the seats clean. But hell, it was cheap, it was quick, it was easy, and it worked.
Hey, if it worked and you're happy, the input is always appreciated.