igniton problems 318i

richxmen

[:(]I have a 1995 318i and well recently is been given me plenty of problems I have corrected all the problems but my switch started to give me problems. I went to turn it off and the car would not turn off. thus instead of buying a new switch I went to a junk yard and bought the entire ignition assembly with a key. now my car wont start. the key turns and the radio and other instruments come on, but it wont turn over. I heard the car has an igniton immobolizer what can I do[:(]

[:(]I have a 1995 318i and well recently is been given me plenty of problems I have corrected all the problems but my switch started to give me problems. I went to turn it off and the car would not turn off. thus instead of buying a new switch I went to a junk yard and bought the entire ignition assembly with a key. now my car wont start. the key turns and the radio and other instruments come on, but it wont turn over. I heard the car has an igniton immobolizer what can I do[:(]
That's right, it has an immobilizer. the key has a chip and the ignition switch reads the chip and sends the signal to the EWS computer.. Now you've changed the ignition switch the computer is getting the wrong signal.
Go back to the original ignition switch or take the car to a bmw shop that can recode the computer.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/BMW_EWS.pdf#search=
That web page will explain all you ever wanted to know about EWS.

Last edited:

richxmen

thanks

That's right, it has an immobilizer. the key has a chip and the ignition switch reads the chip and sends the signal to the EWS computer.. Now you've changed the ignition switch the computer is getting the wrong signal.
Go back to the original ignition switch or take the car to a bmw shop that can recode the computer.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/BMW_EWS.pdf#search=
That web page will explain all you ever wanted to know about EWS.
thanks how about if I change the cylinder and put one of those keys that doesn'thave no chip in it

Cheapest easiest way to sort the problem

Put your old key into the plasic housing that reads the code, Tape it into it so it doesnt fall out, so it reads the key everytime you turn the ignition on blar blar blar...

just hide it somewhere in the dashboard and think of it no more... that way when you put your new key in your new ignition it will read the key thats taped into the plastic code reader.

Thats what i did. Simple solution.

richxmen

need to change ignition key

Cheapest easiest way to sort the problem

Put your old key into the plasic housing that reads the code, Tape it into it so it doesnt fall out, so it reads the key everytime you turn the ignition on blar blar blar...

just hide it somewhere in the dashboard and think of it no more... that way when you put your new key in your new ignition it will read the key thats taped into the plastic code reader.

Thats what i did. Simple solution.
okay that's good advice but I think the palstic housing with the metal inside was damage thus the car doesn't start so if I put a new cylinderwill the car start without problems or do I have to change something else