Jet black finish

It's now been four months since I took delivery of my BMW. Got the jet black exterior, knowing it looks the best when clean but that it could be a nightmare to keep that way. With all of the salt and crud on the roads from this horrible winter weather, there really was no choice but to bring the car to the wash a couple of times. Of course, it now has swirl marks and assorted little scratches, especially on the hood and trunk.

I know there are swirl removers out there. But can I expect that a good old fashioned wax job in the spring will bring her back? This sucks!

Depending on how bad the scratches are, using a light polish will probably bring your car back to almost new. Don't forget to wax after you polish. There are also one step products (polish & wax) out their that do a pretty good job as well. My recommendation is to polish with P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion then use a good caruba wax like P21S, Mothers, or Mequiars #26.

My favorite combo on my black bimmer is P21S polish, Klasse All In One, then two coats of Pinnacle Souveran. It takes all weekend because the AIO and wax have to set up before moving on to the next step.

Sorry for rambling but to answer your questions, yes you can bring your car back and yes black takes more work than you can imagine to keep looking good.

Hope this helps!

EricB

Wax will help fill in the swirls quite a bit, but not completely. I suggest investing in a Porter Cable RO...it allows me to keep my Jet Black 323cic looking beautiful and nearly swirl free at 60,000 miles. The machine can polish the paint far better than applying by hand, and is completely safe. There are many good products out there that can be used with the PC. I prefer Griots polish and wax system.

I also use a quick detailer (Speed Shine) with carnuba wax in it after I wash, and that seems to help as well.

Good luck!

Wash your car w/ Dawn, thoroughly! Next clean the paint really well with something like P21S Paintwork Cleanser. Next try 3M's Swirl Mark Remover, it's a little hard to use so if your not good with polishes, get a glaze like Meguiar's New Car glaze. Next wax the car.

This really does not remove the swirl marks, but hides them. The only way to remove them is to find a good professional detailer to buff the car.

Thanks for all the great advice. I was planning on having the car detailed annually, but I can't live with these swirl marks and I've had good luck with Meguire's products in the past. Question: is the Meguire's New Care Glaze different than the cleaner?

flashinthepan

Snow,

I like the Griots polish idea best, several guys with Black cars comment on how the proper use of this polish and a Porter/Cable was the best solution for swirl "Removal",

Then-

I will suggest a good Zaino treatment, I have not a swirl anywhere, but I used the Zaino products from the start & I do NOT ever press with washing mit or drying towels...IMO its the force of the towel drying and cleaning that kills ya.