leak by windows in 2000 z3 roadster

valerie

I have had problems with a water leak by the middle of the windows every since I purchased my 2000 z3 brand new. I have taken it to Kelly BMW in Columbus, Ohio for service and at first they kept telling me that it was BMW exceptable and then my car started smelling like mold/mildew, they replaced the seals saying do to leakage. It still leaks and still smells. I now have an attorney and I heard that on the z4 they changed the seals around the windows so they are doulbe now...Any information on this would greatly appreciated. thanks

Bear6360, I followed your instruction and have resealed my roof. I have yet to be caught in the rain since doing these things over a week ago. I'll keep you posted and let you know if the problem has been solved. Both my fingres and toes are crossed on this one.

thanks

The leak in the center of the window is likely from the way the seal is split to allow the top to fold. Not much you can do about that now. Mine drips a little when I wash it, or drive in really hard rain (which isn't often).
One trick I was told when I bought mine ('96) is to never leave the windows rolled completely up with the top up. By lowering the windows an inch or so, you relieve the presure of the glass against the seal. This makes the seal last much longer.

Replacing the weather stripping where the window meets the roof is pretty expensive. I paid $250 for the stripping (without having them install it). Do everything you can to make it last.

As for my silicone job on my roof, I haven't sat in a wet seat yet. [:D]