mileometer stays on with key out

When I take ignition key out, the digital mileometer and radio stay on. Obviously I can turn the radio off manually, but the mileometer drains the battery if not started for a couple of days. Any suggestions?

Sounds like your ignition switch... I don't own a E36, but I've heard that they create problems like this, esp. if you have a heavy key chain. (BTW, it's called an odometer)

Big Daddy

From American Heritage Dictionary: "An instrument that indicates distance traveled by a vehicle."

From Wikipedia: "An odometer (often known colloquially as a mileometer or milometer) is a device used for indicating distance traveled by an automobile or other vehicle. It may be electronic or mechanical. The word derives from the Greek words hodós, meaning 'path' or 'way', and métron, 'measure' (an older name for this device is hodometer)."

From Scott, BMWBoard: "(BTW, it's called an odometer)"

From Big Daddy (aka:Dan) Hehe, I love you guys!

Sounds like your ignition switch... I don't own a E36, but I've heard that they create problems like this, esp. if you have a heavy key chain. (BTW, it's called an odometer)
Thanks for the suggestion. Please note that in the UK we measure distance in miles not odes! I guess it's a language thing.

Since posting the original I have found that the radio stays on when removing the key. Also the brake light circuit remains live. There is one fuse that covers radio, brake lights and mile, sorry, odometer.

Big Daddy

"Please note that in the UK we measure distance in miles not odes! I guess it's a language thing." What the heck is an "ode"? We do not measure distance in "odies" either, we measure them in miles. Too funny!

French odomètre, from Greek hodometron : hodos, journey + metron, measure; see -meter.]

"Please note that in the UK we measure distance in miles not odes! I guess it's a language thing." What the heck is an "ode"? We do not measure distance in "odies" either, we measure them in miles. Too funny!

French odomètre, from Greek hodometron : hodos, journey + metron, measure; see -meter.]
Now we've cleared that up, my odometer is still displayed after removal of the key.
I have disconnected the wiring plug from the back of the ignition switch but this does not solve the problem. Any other suggestions out there would be greatly appreciated.

My ode's are actually kilometers. Not sure how to convert it to odes though. My tachometer actually measures revolutions per minute, even though it should measure tackies, and my speedometer is actually in km/h, not actual speed units like in the UK, where you speak a different language...what is it called? English or something?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Your brake light circuit should stay live all the time anyways. There is probably a relay that is stuck in the closed position... if you can find it, yank it and swap in the same relay from a different circuit. Sorry, but like I said, I don't own an E36, but that's my suggestion. Maybe someone will back me up, or shoot me down.

Big Daddy

My brake lights did not stay active when the ignition was off in any of my BMW's, not sure if that is a US thing or not. It sounds like you have a faulty ignition switch. (or swithcie)

Thank you for your support

My brake lights did not stay active when the ignition was off in any of my BMW's, not sure if that is a US thing or not. It sounds like you have a faulty ignition switch. (or swithcie)
Look guys, this is the first time I've used this forum and I'm overwhelmed by your support. Ok we had an issue about odes and miles and the derivation of language, but hey whats really important here is that the car is fixed.

A new ignition switch has solved the problem. Many thanks. I will visit the forum weekly and who knows I may have a solution to one of your problems. ( So long as it does'nt involve odes miles kilometers or any other hairy monsters.

xbm

Look guys, this is the first time I've used this forum and I'm overwhelmed by your support. Ok we had an issue about odes and miles and the derivation of language, but hey whats really important here is that the car is fixed.

A new ignition switch has solved the problem. Many thanks. I will visit the forum weekly and who knows I may have a solution to one of your problems. ( So long as it does'nt involve odes miles kilometers or any other hairy monsters.

I just want to confirm that you replaced the SWITCH and not tumbler/cylinder.

thanks.