my new shift knob

silvere46m3 said:
hi guys, just installed my new alcantara shift knob and shift boot.
[ohcrap] Looks great!
Alright, where did you get that? I must do that to mine.

Just curious, is it a heavy knob?

silvere46m3

4000 Post Club
MrElussive said:
Looks good, and I like the M badge on it. How do you like the feel over the OEM shift knob?

i love it, its shorter than the oem knob, and has better feel. feels like a short shifter but on quite. this is just a shift knob and boot, no short shifter installed yet.

silvere46m3

4000 Post Club
gpoints said:
[ohcrap] Looks great!
Alright, where did you get that? I must do that to mine.

Just curious, is it a heavy knob?
the shift boot is off the 330i performance package, and the shift knob is off the M3 competition package.

not heavy at all. alot lighter than the stock illuminated knob.

silvere46m3 said:
the shift boot is off the 330i performance package, and the shift knob is off the M3 competition package.

Thanks. I don't suppose you have the part #'s? [:D]

Big Daddy said:
Looks good. I am having a Dinan short shifter installed in the roadster at the same time they are doing the clutch... I can't wait, I hope to get her back this week.
So, you beat me to the Dinan Short shifter, huh? I havn't gotten around to calling them about doing mine...yet. [hihi]

Let us know what you think of the shifter Ginnie Pig, I mean, Big Daddy.
[:D]

Big Daddy

So, you beat me to the Dinan Short shifter, huh? I havn't gotten around to calling them about doing mine...yet.

Let us know what you think of the shifter Ginnie Pig, I mean, Big Daddy.
Haha, I decided since I was having a new clutch, pressure plate and flywheel installed I might as well do this. I will let you know what I think about it...hehe

silvere46m3 said:

I see you're around the bay. Where did you get that stuff? Did you buy locally? I must know. [;)]

Short shift kit is always the way to go. Most BMW's have terribly long throws, fortunately the E46 ZHP models and the new E90's do not suffer from this. I remember when I sat in a 645Ci Convertible, the shift throws were unbearably long for me.

The only downside to a short shift kit is that it increases shifting effort a bit, but you get used to it very quickly and you enjoy the significantly faster shifts. If you're thinking about doing it, DO IT. A short shift kit is something you will NOT regret.

I agree with the comment that the OEM shifters are long on the M3. I was pretty surprised about that, but I think its a German thing. I was going to replace the knob myself, but I really like the fact that it lights up.

In that drifter movie in another post, did you check out the guys shifter that he has in his M3?. Its really long, and up inches from the steering wheel, so that he can shift quickly and keep his car drifting, that's the other extreme I guess.

silvere46m3

4000 Post Club
gpoints said:
I see you're around the bay. Where did you get that stuff? Did you buy locally? I must know. [;)]
actually i'm from central california, i bought at my dealer.

here are the part numbers if anyone wants it.

alcantara SMG shift knob: 25 16 2 282 811
alcantara 330i ZHP shift boot: 25 11 7 919 219

silvere46m3 said:
actually i'm from central california, i bought at my dealer.

here are the part numbers if anyone wants it.

alcantara SMG shift knob: 25 16 2 282 811
alcantara 330i ZHP shift boot: 25 11 7 919 219
Sweet! [thumb]