Starting Problem

bluesben

I have a 2001 M3 manual shift....the car is fantastic as you know if you have one.
My only agrivation is an intermittant starting problem. Some mornings I will put in the key, turn it and everything lights up and turns on, radio-fan-lights, etc.
As for the engine; nothing, absolutly nothing. The starter doesn't turn over at all.
Sometimes it will not start for 2 or 3 days. Then it starts and everything is fine untill it happens again a few weeks later.

It seems like this condition happens after I have just filled the car with gas,but I am not certain of this connection.

Any similar experiences or idea?

jfeldman

M3 Starting Problem???

Have you tried the spare key thing? My '02 M3 (SMG) has the same intermittent starting problem you described, and the dealership has no idea what to do. I'll ask them about the key issue, as my car is sitting there waiting for them to figure out the problem.

bluesben

Mine is at the dealerand has been setting there for two weeks and they also have no idea as to what to do. They did mention trying another key but said that their tests show the key to be fine.

Any relation to filling the gas tank in your case?

jfeldman

starting problem - M3

I've had the problem occur with a full tank and with an empty tank (for a while I thought it might be related to a faulty low fuel reading). I've contacted BMW and they will contact my dealership (Santa Monica BMW) with any assistance and I'll keep you posted.

jfeldman

I just got my car back from Santa Monica BMW - they say the problem was the hood safety latch sensor (there's a new safety feature that keeps the car from starting with the hood open!) Hopefully that'll do it - you may want to bounce it off your mechanic. Joe

That's funny I have had my hood popped open and the car started fine, but when you place the car in ANY gear it would not move. It would just rev like it was in neutral. I do have SMG and this may be the difference, but I wouldn't think so. May car will start with the hood popped....

I will check this again to see on my end. I haven't started the car in a couple of weeks....

bluesben

Still No Luck

After the invitation to call BMW customer service I did so and spoke to a very nice
person who informed me that they had no recall notice for the starting problem and that they had no data bank that they maintained to refrence reported problems and their solution.

I thought that was very strange. The nice person said that the would call the service manager at the dealership, to what purpose I don't know.

So I guess I am back to square 1. I guess I will just have to keep having the car back to the dealer every few weeks when it won't start.

Too bad.........it is such a great car, I guess the number of people with this problem is just too small for them to research the problem.

Ben

WhiteOut

I have an 02 6spd with a very similar problem - also usually after a fill of the gas tank though not always - very hard to duplicate as well. Turn the key and sounds like the car is about to turn over - but it just doesn't fire up. Stop turn off completely turn again starts on 2nd try 100% of the time. VERY FRUSTRATING. Described the problem to Beverly Hills BMW and got no help. Left the car there overnight just for them to tell me there isn't a problem. Also think that this is related to how fast I turn the key - If turn the key very quickly and start the car (and the car starts) the car generally runs rather rough. If turn the key slowly - wait for fuel pump to finish pumping - then start the car (car always starts this way) and the car runs A LOT smoother. Again - described this to my Service Advisor and got no help. Does BMW NA Customer Relations want to give it a shot?

silvere46m3

4000 Post Club
bluesben said:
After the invitation to call BMW customer service I did so and spoke to a very nice
person who informed me that they had no recall notice for the starting problem and that they had no data bank that they maintained to refrence reported problems and their solution.

I thought that was very strange. The nice person said that the would call the service manager at the dealership, to what purpose I don't know.

So I guess I am back to square 1. I guess I will just have to keep having the car back to the dealer every few weeks when it won't start.

Too bad.........it is such a great car, I guess the number of people with this problem is just too small for them to research the problem.

Ben
hi ben, is your m3 a SMG transmission or a six speed manual.

if it is a six speed manual, have your dealer check your clutch pedal switch. the car needs to see if the clutch pedal depressed, so it can start the car.

i had a vehicle that was a intermittent no start condition. i found out that the clutch pedal switch popped out of place just enough that the clutch pedal will not touch the switch, and cause the car not to start sometimes.

Uptown

My car is still at Rasmussen - the have had it almost a month now... They seem to think that my starting problem has to do with it loosing fuel pressure. It has never failed to start on second try. Would just turn over too long on first try - I would reset the key and it would fire right up. They have, finally, been able to duplicate the problem and are working on it. I'll let all know once they come up with a solution/resolution!!! Jordan

jfeldman

Hello,
I thought my M3 (SMG) starting problem was resolved at Santa Monica BMW when they fixed a faulty hoodlatch sensor - but a couple of weeks later - the car wouldn't start again. It started up the next day and has been fine for a week now, but I'm anxious to hear if your dealer finally has found the answer. By the way, does your dealer give you use of a loaner car? Joe

WhiteOut

Uptown said:
My car is still at Rasmussen - the have had it almost a month now... They seem to think that my starting problem has to do with it loosing fuel pressure. It has never failed to start on second try. Would just turn over too long on first try - I would reset the key and it would fire right up. They have, finally, been able to duplicate the problem and are working on it. I'll let all know once they come up with a solution/resolution!!! Jordan
This sounds like the EXACT same problem I am having. They thought it was fuel pressure as well but checked that overnight and said everything was fine. Was never able to duplicated the problem at the dealership though. This sounds promising. PLEASE keep me updated as to what they find.

jfeldman said:
Hello,
I thought my M3 (SMG) starting problem was resolved at Santa Monica BMW when they fixed a faulty hoodlatch sensor - but a couple of weeks later - the car wouldn't start again. It started up the next day and has been fine for a week now, but I'm anxious to hear if your dealer finally has found the answer. By the way, does your dealer give you use of a loaner car? Joe
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.