Starting Problem

Uptown

Status update - sorry it's taken awhile - My car is still at the Dealer - it's been about 5 weeks now. They are able to duplicate the problem on a regular basis - it didn't start again today. They are in contact with BMW's engineers and all seem to be at a loss. They have test and diagnostic equipment hooked up to the car. It's getting fuel and spark - and they say it should start. Once they get it started it starts fine for the rest of the day. They've replaced several components per BMW's advice hasn't solved the problem. I'll let all know if they figure it out - positive note - it's giving them a consistant enough problem that they can't very well tell me to take it home!! .... and yes, Joe I have had one of their loaners for the entire time. Although I'm frustrated I think they are trying. Now the drivetrain noise - may be a different story - the BMW Tech that's supposed to drive the car hasn't been able to - doesn't seem to want to start when he's there [?|] Jordan

Uptown

Seems that the problem has gotten worse since they got the car. It now, from time to time won't start util they put it on a charger?? It always started at a minimum second try for me... Jordan

smoldin

i have the same problem - the dealer could not replicate it - said the fuel pump and software was ok. any service actions on this or other porposed solutions from BMW NA?

'05 smg not starting

I've had the same problem with my '05 M3. I just had the 1,200 mile break-in service performed, and the car was at about 1,480 miles when it happened. I had just taken it to a hand car wash and after they washed it it wouldn't start. All the electrical and pre-start functions were working but the engine would not turn over. In addition, I also noticed a seperate problem with my SMG. In an attempt to trouble shoot the starting problem I was moving the shift lever into 1st gear and then back into neutal. However, my display would say I was in 1st gear when the lever was in the Neutral position..very strange. Eventually I had to get one of the car wash people to help me because I was blocking someone from leaving (very embarassing). The guy who came over jiggled the shift lever a few times, put it into 2nd gear then back into neutral and it started right up. I did not get fuel recently and had about a quarter tank (of my normal petrol; chevron). After the incident I called the local bmw dealership and they said there wasn't any similar complaints reported; but if it is persistent to bring it in. I too would like to know the source of the problem..and what in the world was up with my SMG display (or maybe it wasn't the display).

The SMG problem is a known issue. There is a thread about the issue on this board. I have had intermittent problems like the one you described. I have had as bad as some individuals (some can't get the display and gear go normal for over 30 min.) have had. Mine has happened a couple of times, but hasn't happened in quite some time now.

I don't know what causes it and I have never taken it in to be checked out, but if it happens again I will. There are many others that have had the same issue.

There is an other forum with a long thread about it.....

smoldin said:
i have the same problem - the dealer could not replicate it - said the fuel pump and software was ok. any service actions on this or other porposed solutions from BMW NA?
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

Uptown

Hey all... Just a status update - been quite some time - my car is still at the dealer!!! We're going on over 5 month now. They have replaced the DME, crankshaft sensor, fuel pump, fuel filter, starter, and I can't remember what else has been done. They really are at their wits end, however, they (being BMW as the dealer is now taking direction from their tech's) at least have acknowledged that they have a problem. ...and at least the car is still consistant and will act up every 2 to 3 days. ...so they continue to trouble shoot, throw parts, and hopefully they will eventually figure out what is wrong... I'll be sure to let you know if and when the problem is resolved. Uptown

My '05 M3 has the problem as well. Only with the first start of the day, and after that its fine. It takes one try, and then it cranks up. I always let her warm up until the tach shows the redline at 7.

I think its because the car doesn't like when I don't drive it all day. She gets jealous easily [screwy]