The dirtiest part of the Beemer: The Wheels - best tactics/products?

heckler

Hi folks:

Sure enuf, the experts are right again! The wheels tend to be the dirtiest parts of my BMW - what with dirt, mud, rain and brake dust.

My new BMW has alloy "M" wheels which came with the sport package and the rims are quite shiny.

Should I just attack the problem with car wash soap, water and a brush? Seems BMW is very wary of using any sort of chemical stuff on the wheels which may damage the finish. If these is a professional product for wheel cleaning, what is it??

[driving]

The best thing you can do for wheels that are painted is to treat them like your car's paint. Take them off of the car every 3-5 weeks and give them a through washing.

Use a quality auto soap, and the same cloths that you would use to wash the car. If this doesn't get all of the grime off, step up to the next level of cleaner. I suggest a 50-50 mix of Simple Green and water in a spray bottle. If you still have dirt left, use P21S wheel cleaner.

The best advise that I have ever found is to use a polymer wax after a through cleaning. This will assist in keeping the grime from adhering to the wheels finish.

Here's my only tip for you and your rims.... TLC. I would reccomend that you put some form of wax on them, it does make them a bit easier to clean. I spend about a third of my time when washing the car.

A word of caution on the Simple Green, and probably any cleaner for that matter. Don't let it dry on the wheels, it will stain them. I use P21S when my wheels are really bad. I wash them carefully every week and wax them with a non carnuba wax about every two months. You can try switching to "low dust" brake pads.

i usually spend 3 to 4 hours cleaning the wheels on my E30 and the E46 i use Eagle One all wheel cleaner its works alright, but you still need to scrub. i dont mind though as long as the wheels are clean heh.

heckler

Just wanted to confirm that I bought a large amount of P21S and its great stuff.. made in Germany for German cars! Spray a bunch on the alloy wheels, and then high-pressure water rise the stuff off.. a little sponge/agitation in some tough spots, but otherwise super clean! P21S.. gotta get it!

P21S is the best, period. Very expensive though. Use regular car wash soap if your wheels aren't too dirty. With price being a concern, try the Detailer's Pride Gel Wheel Cleaner (Autogeek.net). I think it's 95% as good as P21S and is just as safe. Use Klasse AIO on your wheels every two months. This acrylic sealant will let you clean your wheels with regular car wash soap.

P21S is very good, but expensive. I have found that you can pour water in the empty P21S bottle and shake it up for a diluted P21S that works better than you would expect. Just like 'tussin.

An inexpensive 'orange' cleaner is another alternative. Just make sure it doesn't contain any harsh chemicals. Try the 'organic' section of your local grocery store.

i use the same soap i use to wash my car ...

i wash the wheels with a soft cotton towel and one of those back scrubbers (the ones from walmart you should use on yourself) ...
the back scrubber seems to work in between the spokes just right ... it also fits between the inner rim and out rotor perfectly

that usually gets 95% of the brake dust off

Ben

keninpa

Save your money!!!! and use the Turtle wax wheel cleaner sold at Wal-mart for $2.90/bottle.
I tried it this past week-end and removed the brake dust pretty effectively with "zero" damage to the wheels. It does not contain any harmful acids or chemicals that could harm the paint. Just spray on and wait 30 seconds and rinse thoroughly. Then I used a soft bristle wheel brush (another $3 Walmart investment) to get behind the spokes and other hard to reach spots.

Eagle One A2Z All Wheel & Tire Cleaner. Spray this stuff on a cool dry wheel (and the tire), let it sit for 10-15 seconds, then rinse off. Easiest way to get rid of brake dust. The downside(s) of this product?
1.) The bottle can run out quickly when using on four wheels/tires.
2.) Use it exactly according to the directions or you will pay dearly (this stuff is so strong it can damage your rim).