The heat is MELTING my car away!

Yup, we've had record heat here for the past week 105-118 and now my car is melting away.[:(]

I park my car in front of my office 9-5 every day and it's exposed to the elements during those hours. Well, Friday afternoon I walk out and half my licence plate assembly had fallen off! The piece that goes over the lock on the trunk and holds the licence plate lights was literally melting off because of the heat![}:)]

I temporarily tried to re-stick it so I could get home, but that failed about 1/2 way through my drive and the stupid thing was dangling and flapping around while I drove only holding on by the wires connected to the lights. So I pulled over and disconnected the whole piece on the side of the road and through it in the trunk.

After getting home I took a look at this piece and it's held onto the car by double sided foam tape and NOTHING ELSE! No clips, no screws, nothing! Anyway, after a trip to Home Depot I found what I was looking for. More double sided tape![?|]

The tape I used was heavy duty and seems stronger than what BMW had on before. So, hopefully this stuff won't melt off. After cleaning all the surfaces real good and applying the tape I mounted it back up with no problems. Actually, I think it looks even better than before. I'm going to be mad if this stuff melts off though. I guess the designers didn't take into account Texas heat in August!

Anyway, I only got a few small scratches from when it was dangling, so I can't complain too much. Just sucks when the elements reek havoc on your car and you can't do anything about it.[xx(]

Gee I'll have to take a look at mine. I never noticed or even thought about that piece. I live in Tampa and it gets pretty hot and humid around here. Oh well something to look forward too i guess.

Big Daddy said:
Yep, mine came loose about a year ago. You pay extra for the M and they glue the license plate holder/light thingy on with double sided sticky tape! [?|]
I know! I couldn't belive it. You'd think they'd have some type of clips or screws at least![screwy]

Big Daddy

It is almost like it was an after thought, "oh heck, we cannot mount the license plate on the lower bumper cover because the dual exhaust. I know lets double sticky tape the holder and license plate lights to the deck lid." Great idea it will save up thirty-five cents per car.[werd]

grc

you guys out in the sun better watch out for your dashboards! mine sagged down and spit out the center A/C duct. dealer replaced the sagged dash under warranty and to try to keep it from repeating i got a Bavarian Auto dash cover. so far so good. i don't know if they made any improvements to the dash itself or if they are all susceptible to sagging in the heat? mine is a 96.

Big Daddy

grc I have had a dash cover from the begining. I do not always use it, except when it is going to be hot and the car is going to be parked in the sun, like long trips or drives. I have no dsah sag or split problems yet. But good advice, get a dash cover if you live where it get hot.

I find all of this quite disturbing. I can't believe there weren't any clips or brackets. I love BMW and all, but that sounds pretty cheap to me.

ILuvBMW

From now on instead of saying 'It's hot enough to fry a cat on the sidewalk!', I'm gonna say 'It's hot enough to melt a BMW!' Anyways, that is quite disturbing. How much did the tape cost at Home Depot?

ILuvBMW said:
From now on instead of saying 'It's hot enough to fry a cat on the sidewalk!', I'm gonna say 'It's hot enough to melt a BMW!' Anyways, that is quite disturbing. How much did the tape cost at Home Depot?
lol, no kidding.[hihi] The tape was only $10 bucks.

10 bucks, that's a rip off. j/k If BMW would have used some clips or something it would have been even cheaper, so it turns out BMW took the expensive way. lol