Tires too large for quarter panel!!!

Dathaeus

Ok, I know I can just get smaller tires, but I am trying the 17" 245's in the back of my 1997 328i sedan w/sports package. The fronts have 17" 225's. On a regular ride it is fine, but on a hard left turn the right tire sounds like it is brushing against the quarter panel. Now granted, I may make a turn like that just a few times a month, but it is still a very disconcerting sound.

My tire guy made me get an extender or spacer to put in my rear suspension to lift the car up one space in between two coils in the rear suspension. he tried to do it but he couldnt... he isnt the guy who usually does it, and his guy wasnt in that day. Anyways he told me to bring it back and his guy can put it in like in 10 minutes. Since the car will be lifted, it wont brush the panel anymore, he says, and a body guy also said that.

Again I know I can just go back to 225's or whatever, but now the tire is so used, i may have to pay for a whole new set of rears then. So my questions is, anyone else had this type of problem, how did u solve it, and what are the pros and cons of the spacer?

(apologies in advance if any of these assumptions, are umm, "inexperienced")
I would think pros:

- Might stiffen suspension a tad
- Might improve downforce a tad
- Should fix my tire brushing problem

Cons:

- Car will look higher (not sure if noticable)
- May not fix the tire brushing the panel
- May damage the suspension over time
- Needs readjustment every year

Thanks!

It might stop the rubbing, it might not.
It will stiffen the suspension, might not be too noticeable.
It won't have any effect on downforce.
It will be a bit higher.
It can damage the suspension. It seems that 3 series stock springs are not the strongest. My 94 had a spring that broke (no susp.mods) and I have seen/heard/read of others, more than you would expect. The spacer will change the stress on the spring.

A few other effects:
- Wider tires on the rear will contribute to understeer when accelerating or turning hard (car wants to go straight instead of turning)
- Greater unsprung weight = slower acceleration
- Higher rolling resistance = lower fuel mileage & acceleration

All of these are relatively minor. Putting wider tires on the rear looks muscular, but it does nothing to improve performance on a stock vehicle.

Dathaeus

Thanks... but doesnt wider tires provide more tracking on hard turns? And I think I have noticed some more noise from these wheels as well...

Also someone told me you put in spacers it may "rake" the suspension.. what is that and is it true?

Big Daddy

Causes stress spots on the springs
They are not secure and can pop out
Alters the design of the spring
Raises the car (raising a car on one end results in the "rake")
Cheap fix
May alter alignment

Thanks... but doesnt wider tires provide more tracking on hard turns? And I think I have noticed some more noise from these wheels as well...

Also someone told me you put in spacers it may "rake" the suspension.. what is that and is it true?
wider tires do provide more traction - that is the problem. Wider tires on the rear grip more than the front and push the car forward instead of turning. Think of it this way-put bicycle tires on the front and accelerate in a corner-will the car turn or will the front skid and push? Car designers spec tire sizes as part of their design just for this reason.

Dathaeus

I can see all the downsides of a spacer and will trash it... but is raking bad? Or is that just a style point? Unless it is a funny car look, doesnt raking make a car look sportier?

Also who uses or even buys spacers then??? fools?

That tire explanation with the understeer makes perfect sense now... however I do not mind a little understeer, but how about instead of spending all this time and money fixing this, I just take it a bit easy for the next few months and next time just get me a pair of 225's replacements? I didnt know the traction gain would be minimal in benefit there....

Also wouldnt a good tire guy, or rather, SHOULDNT he know all this??? So can I assume now he is either ignorant or just out to make a buck?

I have 225's on all 4 corners. I have had to use those pesky spring spacers on the front (even with curling the fenders). But in all fairness, the Brembo's made me put a wheel spacer on to clear the calipers.
Yes, i do have to check the spring spacers once a week to ensure they haven't shifted.
On the rear i have 25mm wheel spacer on and the fenders have been rolled. I can still get wheel rub if i run across a dip in the road too fast. Doesn't happen very often tho.
Just my 2 cents of experience.

Good Luck.

Dathaeus

I have 225's on all 4 corners. I have had to use those pesky spring spacers on the front (even with curling the fenders). But in all fairness, the Brembo's made me put a wheel spacer on to clear the calipers.
Yes, i do have to check the spring spacers once a week to ensure they haven't shifted.
On the rear i have 25mm wheel spacer on and the fenders have been rolled. I can still get wheel rub if i run across a dip in the road too fast. Doesn't happen very often tho.
Thanks... so i assume the spacers for u were a last resort? and u needed them for 225's??? isnt that a bit unusual?

I had Pirelli PZero Nero 225s on all four corners of my 94 325i, with lowered sport springs, fenders not rolled and had no problems at all. I think your spacers cause the rubbing.

Dathaeus

Ehhh... I've had 225's also with lowered sports suspension and had no problems, thats not the issue... and I DONT have spacers, in thats the whol question here... the problem came up when I had 245's installed in the rear. Anyways the spacers are supposed to PREVENT the rubbing by raising the wheels away from the fender.

My comments were directed at Chief's post about rubbing with 225s, not your situation with 245s. Regarding spacers, there are TWO kinds of spacers. Chief's post is talking about WHEEL spacers which extend the wheels OUTWARD to create inner clearance for oversize wheels or brakes, but making them CLOSER to the fender/quarter panel. The problem then is that the tires can rub on the quarter panel EVEN with 225s. Your spacers - SPRING spacers - RAISE the body from the tires.

The wheel spacers did cause the problem hense the spring spacers installed to stop the rubbing. Before i put on the Brembo's i had no rubbing issues with the 225's.